Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: oven baked sea salt-flavour crisps - affecting a child's diet  (Read 1583 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
oven baked sea salt-flavour crisps - affecting a child's diet
« on: November 18, 2021, 11:18:41 AM »

A couple are spending hours hunting for a specific type of Walkers crisp amid a national shortage as it is one of the only things their daughter will eat.

Due to an eating disorder, Walkers oven baked sea salt-flavour crisps form a major part of the diet of four-year-old Ava, from Narborough, Leicestershire.

But her mother Michelle says she is struggling to find any.

Walkers said it was working to resolve the supply problems and apologised for the inconvenience.

CLKD

Re: oven baked sea salt-flavour crisps - affecting a child's diet
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 11:19:41 AM »

As someone with a severe eating disorder from the age of 3, I feel helpless.  MayB we need to buy these if seen in the stores and let the parents know?  :-\. I survived on Cadbury chocolate buttons ............ easy to eat.  There were other food stuffs but can't remember what.

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 11:35:55 AM »

There must be something in these particular crisps that youngsters with challenges need and respond to nutritionally.. It would be well worth someone looking into it and creating a supplement to provide it. Walkers' red packet crisps used to be an essential part of the autistic diet when I worked in autism. We used to try to "desensitise" by putting other brands in the same packet and they were rejected. Really interesting material!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 01:12:02 PM »

Salt?  Some children with : can't remember the condition right now : oh, muscular dystrophy - crave salt.  Usually this condition affects boys, rarely girls.  However, in the 1980s I knew a family with a daughter along with 3 younger brothers; who all had a different version of MD. 

Some children react to different food textures, I can understand.  Also food smells, it really really does when 1 has acute anxiety  :-X.  And who would want to eat anything green!