Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estrogel and Anxiety  (Read 981 times)

JoannFran

Estrogel and Anxiety
« on: November 15, 2021, 10:38:44 AM »

Hello everyone.

Was after a bit of advice please and if anyone had same experience as me?  I've been on Estrogel (2 pumps) for 2 months now.  I'm meant to be doing a long cycle so utro only every 3rd cycle.

I was put on the estrogel because of joint pain and anxiety.  Since taking the Estrogel my anxiety is much much worse.  I know that I should give it 3 months but I didn't put any on on Sat or Sun out of desperation and I definitely felt less anxious.  Still anxious but nowhere near the total panic I was feeling.  Spoke to GP who said to increase to 3 pumps which I did for 2 days and felt awful. GP said the estrogel isn't causing this.
I can't find much info online regarding estrogen intolerance.  I can almost feel a surge of adrenaline when I put the gel on.  And I feel internally anxious in my body (shaking heart, palpitations).

Really don't know what to do for the best now.  My gut feeling is to stop.  Has anyone else had this with estrogel?

Thank you :-)

Dada39

Re: Estrogel and Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 01:35:26 PM »

Hi JoannFran,

I can understand what you are expericing. It did the same to me, I tried it 3 weeks, anxiété was to the roof, palpitations, I even lost 4 or 5 kilos because I couldnt eat because of the anxiety and now I am oestrogen depleted because I lost my fat cells that produced some hormones and new meno symptomes.

Maybe it was not enough pump or oestrogen intolerant. It did the same to me with 1 mg of oral Oestradiol.

Please take care and talk to your Gp and keep eating well not like me lol

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 01:53:40 PM »

You can get these symptoms with too much oestrogen as well as too little. I would reduce to 1 or even half a pump and see how you are. Some people need longer to acclimatise to it so it may be that you do need this dose eventually but need to increase slowly.
A long cycle is usually 6 weeks not 3 months. Will you be having scans to ensure your lining isn't building up? If you're not having scans it might be safer to reduce cycle length.

JoannFran

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 02:12:48 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

Dada39 - has the anxiety reduced for you now? How long did it take after stopping estrogen?  I’ve got no appetite either. Having to force feed myself.

Sheila99 - yes I will be having regular scans although to be honest I think I’m not going to take HRT anymore. I literally feel so much worse on it so don’t really see the point in continuing.

Urgh this is such an awful time! The anxiety and fast heart rate are getting hard to cope with. GP wants to put me on sertraline but I can’t cope with any more side effects from meds!

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 02:20:53 PM »

Did your anxiety come with peri or is it a long standing problem? It is came with peri there's a good chance it will go with the right dose of oestrogen. IMO it's worth taking the time to get your dose right. Anxiety was my worst symptom and it has completely gone though it did take 3 months on the right dose. It's so debilitating, it would be a shame to live with it if you don't have to.

EllaAurora

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 08:10:09 PM »

Hello everyone.

Was after a bit of advice please and if anyone had same experience as me?  I've been on Estrogel (2 pumps) for 2 months now.  I'm meant to be doing a long cycle so utro only every 3rd cycle.

I was put on the estrogel because of joint pain and anxiety.  Since taking the Estrogel my anxiety is much much worse.  I know that I should give it 3 months but I didn't put any on on Sat or Sun out of desperation and I definitely felt less anxious.  Still anxious but nowhere near the total panic I was feeling.  Spoke to GP who said to increase to 3 pumps which I did for 2 days and felt awful. GP said the estrogel isn't causing this.
I can't find much info online regarding estrogen intolerance.  I can almost feel a surge of adrenaline when I put the gel on.  And I feel internally anxious in my body (shaking heart, palpitations).

Really don't know what to do for the best now.  My gut feeling is to stop.  Has anyone else had this with estrogel?

Thank you :-)

Hi JoannFran, I had somewhat similar reaction when I first increased the gel and I needed to go back to low dose and then build up really slowly, adding like 1/5 of a pump on one go, keeping that for 2 weeks and then adding another 1/5th of a pump etc. I started actually weighing the dose by mg, to make sure I'm taking exactly the same amount every day and can increase slowly enough.

Hope you'll start feeling better soon and let us know how you get on! xx

JoannFran

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 09:31:44 AM »

Thank you so much for your advice ladies.

I’ve spoke GP. She said to come off the Estrogel for the moment if it’s making me worse and I’m having a heart monitor fitted to see if there’s an underlying issue. Not sure if the fast heart rate is triggering the anxiety or vice Versa.
I’ve taken a beta blocker today and definitely feel calmer. Don’t really want to be on them long term tho as they gave me side effects.

I’ll try to rule out any underlying issues and then maybe try the estrogel again and start on one pump and increase gradually.

Thanks again for the support x

sweettooth

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 11:25:12 AM »

Hi Joannfran,

Yes I was exactly same, had no anxiety before it, my body just would not settle and then I switched to evorel patch same thing and more I increased the worse I became.  I ended up on oral at 1mg then 2mg and didn’t experience this!

On a flip side I had reaction to vaccine and increased which has eventually thrown my body into chaos!  Not easy that’s for sure!

As others have said you may well be ok doing it very gradual🤞🤞