Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Sore mouth and vagina!!  (Read 1640 times)

Yecart 777

Sore mouth and vagina!!
« on: November 08, 2021, 08:04:15 PM »

Hi,

Can anyone say if they have the same as me, I had my last period in 2013 and I am now 59. I have for a few years had an odd feeling in my mouth on and off, best way to describe it is like when you've eaten a scone with too much bicarbonate. I started vitamin B complex and I did think it helped, now its back again, but it does come and go, but this time I have a similar burning /soreness / odd feeling the same below ....I don't know if this is what people describe as burning ?? I know things have changed as noticed dryer below...I am not unbearably sore , but mildly uncomfortable. I will go GP but not sure how to describe the feeling, and will be reassured if anyone else has similiar>? I must add no bleeding, odour or discharge....any help be appreciated.

Flossieteacake

Re: Sore mouth and vagina!!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 08:31:20 PM »

Hello Yecart. I do not know if this is the same as you but I get a burning sensation in my throat and tongue. Often food does not taste as it should do and some times this ruins the pleasure of eating. I once looked it up and I read hormones can cause this and it is known as burning mouth syndrome. For the dryness and discomfort, could it be atrophy? There is a lot of information about that on here.

Yecart 777

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 08:51:55 PM »

Hi Flossie,

Yes maybe I will have a read , people describe things differently , Ive just read that some describe the mouth as that scalded feeling and it is like that if I think about it, also below is a type of burning, but feels very like the same as my mouth.

The feeling in my mouth is just on my tongue and isn't noticeable when eating or drinking, does not look sore.

thank you for your reply.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »

Firstly Yecart777 - you may have vaginal atrophy so do ask for appropriate treatment.  We have threads about 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' which are important reads.

I get burning mouth syndrome.  I had to change my toothpaste  - SLauralSulphate is in many products and I think reacts: jam, bananas, chocolate, cheese - I have to be so careful with what I eat; the moment I bite the burning starts, enough to make me drool!  :-X

VA treatment is for Life.  Once symptoms ease, the treatment is used as necessary: usually twice a week with a few nights between.  Or every night if necessary.

Browse round.  Make notes.  Don't be fobbed off by your GP!  Treatment can be started at any time ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 08:52:55 PM »

If you look at your tongue is there a white covering which may be thrush.  This can affect the vagina too. 

Yecart 777

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 09:06:15 PM »

Hi Clkd,

Nothing at all can be seen on my tongue, no redness or anything. Ive only ever had thrush once due to antibiotics many years ago, and I have never had a urine infection. However with this burning below,  I can't physically touch anywhere that's sore , its rather like a sensation, so hard to describe. I am aware that if I am rough with tissue I can abase easily.

Thankyou for your reply.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 09:08:15 PM »

let's know how you get on - some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use. 

Yecart 777

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 07:17:04 PM »

hi
spoke to lady Dr today , she has said I need an examination, urine sample and swab to see what is going on.

Hopefully nothing concerning that can be treated.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 08:34:40 PM »

Urine and the swab must be sent to a Lab. to see if either grow any 'bugs'.  Let us know how U get on.

Patsie

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 08:55:24 PM »

Hi,

I have exactly the same.  Was diagnosed with atrophy nearly 3 years ago as I had a burning/sore/throbbing sensation and now have a regime of Vagifem and estriol cream.  It took nearly 18 months to get back to 90% of feeling ok and then about a year ago I started with a sore tongue.  I was seen by ENT who said I had lack of saliva but nothing they could do just drink more and was given a spray.  Asked my GP if it could all be related the sore tongue and atrophy to possible Sjorgens syndrome but he dismissed it.

Yecart 777

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 09:33:40 PM »

Hi Patsie,

Relieved that someone else knows how I feel, my sore tongue has flared up recently and seems to have coincided with the feeling below, which feels very similar. Ive only had this 6 weeks so I am hoping that with treatment as its not got too bad ( as I can imagine it can), will feel normal again below.  Not heard Of Sjorgens syndrome, will look it up.

With the atrophy how was it diagnosed? and did you sometimes keep needing too wee??

Many thanks x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »

Do read the vaginal atrophy threads.

When I get the need2P symptoms I take 2 'nurofen' capsules 3 times a day to ease the nipping when the spincter shuts off the urine flow.

Patsie

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 10:19:40 PM »

Hi Yecart777

I was examined by GP who said the area looked red.  She took swab and a urine sample but nothing came back so she put me on Vagifem. At the beginning it just felt like it was very dry and had weird twinges as if I wanted to wee but I knew I didn’t.  I would ask about atrophy and Vagifem when you go for your swab. 

I have been given a saliva spray for the sore tongue but this does not do much it just gives me a mouth full of liquid and after swallowing the soreness comes back! I have good days and bad days and am still trying to work out if what I am eating makes my tongue worse or does stress contribute.  I have just had a bad couple of weeks as my atrophy has flared up so have increased Vagifem to every other day.  My tongue also seemed to get worse at the same time!

Gracie

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 10:54:07 PM »

I had same symptoms a few years ago, waking up in the night burning like hell down below and burning mouth. I didn't know at the time but it was the beginning of what I now know is Virginal Atrophy, it slowly creeps up on you until the symptoms become unbearable as they did with me. Now using Vagifem every day.