Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vulval skin darkening.  (Read 961 times)

Obobal

Vulval skin darkening.
« on: November 09, 2021, 10:45:45 PM »

I have a bartholin’s cyst so got a mirror to have a look. I discovered that where my vulva/vagina meets the perineum and up into the creases the skin has become really dark.  I don’t know when this happened as I don’t look down there very often but it wasn’t like that a year ago.

I started HRT about 7/8 months ago and wonder if the skin colour change is hormonal. I have had an issue with an itchy perineum at the start of the year for which I was given steroid cream but no one mentioned an odd colour change down there. It is very dark. Not patterned or blotchy more like a naturally dark skinned person would have yet otherwise I’m as pale as a human can get.

Is this normal for perimenopause? I have a DR appointment in 9 days (earliest I can get) but am quite anxious about it.

Dierdre

Re: Vulval skin darkening.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 07:08:14 AM »

Yes its normal for the labia area to go darker as we age and have less estrogen. I was shocked a few years ago when i got the mirror down there to see how black the egdes of my labia had turned too.

Obobal

Re: Vulval skin darkening.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 08:04:05 AM »

Thanks! That’s a relief! I didn’t expect it to be quite so dark.it really stands out.