Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hrt&bleeding  (Read 761 times)

Wednesday

• First Flush
Hrt&bleeding
« on: November 06, 2021, 07:27:38 PM »

Hi everyone
I’m wondering if any one can help me, I’ve tried looking up on hrt but I’ve frazzled my brain with it all! I have been on hrt elleste duet for a good 12 months all seemed good then suddenly I  started bleeding so heavy I could not go out or far from the bathroom,my gp sent me to the hospital for tests biopsy etc all came back clear apart from fibroids that I knew I had, my gp has told me to start back on the hrt but I’m worried it will happen again…am i right in thinking hrt will “ feed “ the fibroids and cause bleeding?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 08:02:06 PM by Wednesday »

Hurdity

Re: Hrt&bleeding
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 08:43:37 AM »

Hi Wednesday

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your bleeding but good that you have been investigated. it would be helpful to know whereabouts you re on your menopause journey in order to be able to comment, and what dose of oestrogen in the Elleste ie 1 mg or 2 mg and whether cyclical or continuous? ie If you're on cyclical HRT then withdrawal bleeding is normal but maybe you were worried because it was so heavy? If you are post-meno and on continuous then yes bleeding after 12 months of conti HRT is abnormal and needs investigating. Also the fibroids - any information on size or whether they have grown ? Yes oestrogen can "feed" the fibroids - but not necessarily - eg I have a small one less than 1 cm which has never grown while I've been using hRT ( medium dose, post-menopausal).

Good that your biopsy came back clear but did they not suggest how to control the bleeding?

If you are peri-menopausal then it could be your own cycle kicking in as ovulation is not necessarily suppressed on HRT. If you re post-meno maybe it is a late cycle kicking in or maybe the balance of that HRT is wrong for you? Did they give you an idea of the womb thickness when you had the tests?

if all is normal then there are ways to control the bleeding if you want to explore this further and depending on your age too?

Hurdity x

Wednesday

• First Flush
Re: Hrt&bleeding
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 12:51:37 PM »

Hi Hurdity
Thanks for replying, I’m on 2 mg and I guess I’m post menopause and I’m 52. The dr at hospital said the biggest fibroid is 5cm? So on the borderline and said we don’t need to do anything also I’m sure he said all looked ok but I had what they call a fibro uterus (I was a bit out of it on gas n air at this point!!!) so not 100% on what was said, I didn’t hear anything for nearly 4 weeks so had to ring my gap who was just like oh yes all ok you can go back on the hrt now, but I’m worried i will bleed badly again🙄x