Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Ovestin cream discontinued- help!!!  (Read 6519 times)

Bella247

Ovestin cream discontinued- help!!!
« on: March 13, 2024, 08:04:59 PM »

So I’ve been on a long journey with vaginal atrophy. After some great advice on here I got my GP to switch me over from estriol cream (which wasn’t working) to Ovestin. Despite my GP telling me it was the “same thing” I was able to point out it was a different concentration albeit the same active ingredient.
Id seen quite a lot of an improvement over the last few months. Then today I went to pick up my prescription from boots to be told there was a shortage everywhere. I called around a few chemists. Most said they can’t order it and one said it’s been discontinued. One recommended I ask my GP for a generic version which she has done but the brand is estriol. I’ve asked the pharmacist and she said it’s the same concentration. Does anyone happen to understand this or have any experience of using this in place of Ovestin.
The one I was using was estriol 0.01%. This didn’t work but Ovestin 0.1% did . Is there an estriol 0.1%?
I’m so fed up. The stupid GP said if this doesn’t work I should try a pessary (they clearly didn’t read my notes as I’ve used Vagirux (plus estriol) and this combination didn’t work.

I don’t understand why they would discontinue ovenstin  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ovestin cream discontinued- help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 08:15:44 AM »

It probably isn't a discontinuation, as stated in other threads, when Patents run out other manufacturers take up the products.  I note on. my repeat script 'estriol' rather than 'ovestin'.  It is the active ingredient that is the important bit.  Try it !   Then let us know how you get on.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 08:16:54 AM »

You have replies in your other thread!

Hormonehealth

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 05:09:47 PM »

Please can someone confirm if Ovestin cream is completely discontinued or if it will be manufactured again maybe by another company?
I am wary of asking my GP to prescribe estriol 0.1% straight away as I am really very happy with Ovestin cream and once I have changed over to a different product I know it will be very hard to get my GP to change back to Ovestin or even agree to changing to Estriol to begin with. 
And to add to that if we all go onto Estriol 0.1% then of course that will get difficult to get hold of as well since that will be the only comparible product any of us can get so it is bound to become rarer to find available.

Since i have spoken to Boots and my smaller local pharmacy and they both say... they cant get Ovestin point blank, I wonder if it will be manufactured again.
Any information welcome

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 07:28:47 PM »

Ovestin has now been rebranded as Estriol cream 0.1%. It is exactly the same product and made by the same manufacturer. Even the box is the same. However, this information seems not to have filtered down to all pharmacies.

JP x

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 08:48:08 PM »

I got "ovestin" in my latest prescription this week, the usual box. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 08:59:48 PM »

I imagine there will still be some of the older stock around for a while yet, but it will be replaced by the "Estriol 0.1%" one everywhere eventually. As long as we still get it, that's the main thing!

JP x