Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan 100 on days 1 - 12 of cycle?  (Read 1304 times)

Berto77

Utrogestan 100 on days 1 - 12 of cycle?
« on: November 05, 2021, 05:36:45 PM »

My GP has proscribed Utrogestan and Evoral 50 patches for me on advice from the menopause clinic in Scotland (Glasgow area). I was offered the option of the estrogen gel but I haven't had issues with the patches so far and they are lower hassle for me at present. Hopefully I can change to gel in the future if I need to!

My question is about the Utrogestan, I have been proscribed 100mg x 2 on days 1 - 12 of my cycle as I am still having regular monthly cycles. I started my period today making this day one of my cycle but looking at the info leaflet on the packet it suggests that I should be taking my 200mg during the second half of my cycle from day 15 to day 26. This makes more sense as that would mimic the natural cycle.

I think my GP may have made a mistake but I'm not sure what to do? If I take the Utrogestan now from days 1 - 12 will that mess up my cycle causing my to bleed further when I stop taking the utrogestan? Should I just wait until day 15 from today to start the Utrogestan, meaning I will have had a whole cycle with estrogen patches and no progesterone? Is that safe?

I have a package of 30 tablets I need 24 for the 12 day cycle leaving 6 tablets in the pack, could I just take 100mg at night for the next few days then save the rest for later in the month?

I'm confused and my GP isn't available now until the middle of next week!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan 100 on days 1 - 12 of cycle?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 06:10:28 PM »

I'm confused too.  Hopefully someone will be along with advice.

VictoryV

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 06:17:45 PM »

Hi, my understanding is that day 1 is today (good that your natural period is today!) and you take the Utrogestan on day 15 to 26. That’s what I do and it says that on my sticker on front of Utrogestan box.
Someone with more experience will be on soon!
Victoria☀️

Berto77

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 06:22:20 PM »

Thanks for the replies, it is confusing! I suppose that if my period has happened then missing one cycle of preogesterone won't kill me but I'd still like to know exactly what to do as the GP label clearly says I should start taking them today on day 1 of my cycle but everything else seems to day from day 15 for 12 days!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 05:30:06 PM »

Hi Berto

As Victory V says - your GP is wrong. Day 1 is always the first day of your bleed in a 28 day cycle and then as stated you take 2 x 100 mg utrogestan days 15 - 26. You can use the other 6 on the next cycle. Don't start them today ( though if you took one yesterdfay it won't do you any harm!). You don't need to ask your GP...

Are you having proper regular monthly periods still with no erratic cycles? Ah, I see if you are taking patches then you must be already taking a progestogen. Can you say what your HRT regime is at the moment?

If you have been taking HRT and are still on it then you just start taking the progestogen when you would have done so on the previous regime, but other things being equal - today is Day 1 and hopefully it is also Day 1 on your current regime - if you are on one? (if you see what I mean?!)

Hurdity x

Berto77

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 10:25:07 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

Thanks, yeah I just worked out the 15th day - the 19th of Nov and will start the Utrogesten then. I was on evoral sequi for the past two months but am now switching to the patches and utrogestan. Its a bit messed up at the moment but as I'm having a normal bleed I think its ok and will just start the utro on the 19th of november!