Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 935 times)

Sfifties

Advice please
« on: November 04, 2021, 09:19:00 AM »

Hi ladies,
48 year old on continuos hrt .
started 2 pumps of oestrogel and utragestan 2 days ago .
1. Applying both pumps on arms in the morning, is this the right way?
It’s only been 2 days but they have been the 2 worse day and nights  in terms of sweats and times i woke up ,would applying oestrogel at night instead help ?

2.I was prescribed utragestan 100mg orally and after researching it i have started vaginally every other night, am i right
in thinking that this way i could get less symptoms from progesterone?

I mentioned the vaginal option and every other night it to my Gp but she said that she didn’t know about it so now i am anxious i am doing something completely the wrong way , Dr Newson advocates this on her videos , i wonder if i have missed anything and this is not the way one should start this regime but only in specific circumstances…
I just want to avoid progesterone side  effect i am miserable enough now…

3 . How long in your experience it takes for hot flashes, insomnia and night sweats to stop after starting on 2 pumps of oestrogel?
I dont know how much longer i can go on like this i am exausted …

4. Lastly, has anyone noticed any change in libido with this regime or the only alternative is testosterone, i have -0 libido and husband not happy ..
Thanks for any advice

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 06:06:03 PM »

Welcome!  Hopefully someone who takes HRT will be along with advice.

I believe that testosterone has to be prescribed by a Consultant.  Progesterone affects many women. 

It is trial and error which in itself can be tiring.  Have you had VitD and thyroid function blood tests recently?

Sfifties

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 10:01:23 PM »

Thanks for your reply my last blood test was in february no hot flushes or night sweats back then just feeling very tired and sad and gp had told me that i was perimenopausal it’s only now that I experienced the unbearable hot flashes and sweats that i spoke to a female gp and asked fortreatment and she said that she looked at the blood test results on file ( ones from February) and i am definitely menopause as no periods in 2021.
I am surprised that no one has replied to the questions in my post , surely there must be somebody in the same exact situation…

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 10:16:46 PM »

Sometimes, the specifics in a post don't apply to the reader. I can't help as I am very post-meno and fairly newly on oestrogen only, struggling too, but very differently. I hope you get the answers you need before too long, BUT think about yourself first, especially emotionally, and that way you will help the situation with your partner far more.

pollywollydoodle

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 10:44:14 PM »

Hi Sfifties - sorry you’re feeling so bad. The start of a new hrt regime can throw up some peculiar symptoms. Your night swears could be caused by the utro, it causes many women to heat up, particularly at night. You could also try splitting your dose of oestrogel - 1 pump in the morning and 1 before bed, some women feel more balanced this way. There’s a video online from Newton’s clinic showing how to apply to arms, might be worth looking for it if you haven’t already.

It’s still very early days for you and with a surge of new hormones added in, it can take a few weeks, sometimes months to reach a steady level.

If you continue to feel really awful, you could ask your gp if you can try oestrogen  only for a month to determine if it’s the utro that’s making you feel so bad. There’s other options if that’s the case.

I’ll try to find the video for you, applying oestrogel correctly is really important to ensure you’re not losing out on the dose.

pollywollydoodle

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 10:45:37 PM »

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »

It can take a while for HRT to take effect, so if you only started two days ago it is going to take a while yet. They say to give each regime a couple of months to see if it works. Did the GP offer any follow up?
You might be fine with the progesterone, many women have no problems. A forum such as this one probably gives a distorted view, as it is where people come if they do have problems.
I hope you feel better in the not too distant future.
JP x