Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oestrodose vs oestrogel saga  (Read 8165 times)

Uptick

Re: Oestrodose vs oestrogel saga
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »

Hi TeeLa, I think you're right about the delivery system but you're wrong about Oestrogel being made in the UK. All Besins products are made in France or Belgium (estradiol gel). The pumps and bottles are made by 2 different companies in France, the older Oestrodose was made by Rexam (now part of another company called Nemera) and the new Oestrodose and Oestrogel by Lablabo (now part of another company called Pinard). The pouches where the gel is contained and the pumps are different and that might account for a difference in dose and maybe in storage conditions. I don't know if the new Oestrogel (bottle similar to the old Oestrodose) is the same now for all products. If you search for Oestrodose on the MHRA website you'll come up with one entry for Oestrogel. If you open the link to Oestrogel you'll get two patient information leaflets that are exactly the same but have different numbers. If you download and open them on Adobe Reader they have different labels, one is labeled Rexam and the other is labeled Lablabo, they're both dated May 2020.

TeeLa

• First Flush
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2020, 03:07:38 PM »

Hi TeeLa, I think you're right about the delivery system but you're wrong about Oestrogel being made in the UK. All Besins products are made in France or Belgium (estradiol gel). The pumps and bottles are made by 2 different companies in France, the older Oestrodose was made by Rexam (now part of another company called Nemera) and the new Oestrodose and Oestrogel by Lablabo (now part of another company called Pinard). The pouches where the gel is contained and the pumps are different and that might account for a difference in dose and maybe in storage conditions. I don't know if the new Oestrogel (bottle similar to the old Oestrodose) is the same now for all products. If you search for Oestrodose on the MHRA website you'll come up with one entry for Oestrogel. If you open the link to Oestrogel you'll get two patient information leaflets that are exactly the same but have different numbers. If you download and open them on Adobe Reader they have different labels, one is labeled Rexam and the other is labeled Lablabo, they're both dated May 2020.

Thank you for your detailed and comprehensive reply  :). I have to admit I wasn’t aware of all this, I was merely quoting the information on manufacturing orgin given by my pharmacist.

Hi, is anyone still reading these posts?  I started on Oestrodose about 5 months ago.  I had bleeding for the first 3 months and a shortness in breath.  Both issues settled for the last 2 months.  Then 10 days ago I started a new prescription which was Oestrogel.  My bleeding and breathing issues have started again and are continuing so far.  I spoke with the nurse practitioner yesterday who recommended that I return to Oestrodose as I must be getting more estrogen from . They have had to order Oestrodose specifically so am still on Oestrogel but have reduce the amount dispensed from one to approximately 3/4.  No change yet but I get the Oestrodose tomorrow.
Any thoughts?

I see Dr Newson addressed this issue too on her website. Apparently Oestrodose is a parallel import - whatever that means. Hopefully those more in the know than I can explain that for me.

She also explains how to ensure you get the one you want. https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/oestrodose
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 03:30:35 PM by TeeLa »

Kathleen

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 05:50:04 PM »

Hello ladies.

I haven't seen what Louise Newson has to say on the subject but I used to write on my prescription  'Oestrogel please' so that is what was dispensed. One time I was collecting my HRT when the Pharmacist said that she made sure that the right product was given to me because 'it was specified on the prescription'. Perhaps she thought that the GP surgery had written the note for a very important medical reason? I didn't bother telling her that it was only me expressing my preference lol.

Take care everyone.

K.

Lizp

• First Flush
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 07:18:07 AM »

So my latest update us that Oestradose is no longer available in the UK at all. I have to move on to Oestragel and see if I still get the bleeding, which I'm sure I will. Then I will have to have my uterus lining examined apparently.

I'm thinking I might just come off of HRT and put up with aging i.e. aching joints and worsening oesteopenia.

How does one actually come off of HRT? All at once or slowly?

SarahJane1234

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2021, 01:30:24 PM »

Hi, is anyone still reading these posts?  I started on Oestrodose about 5 months ago.  I had bleeding for the first 3 months and a shortness in breath.  Both issues settled for the last 2 months.  Then 10 days ago I started a new prescription which was Oestrogel.  My bleeding and breathing issues have started again and are continuing so far.  I spoke with the nurse practitioner yesterday who recommended that I return to Oestrodose as I must be getting more estrogen from Oestrogel. They have had to order Oestrodose specifically so am still on Oestrogel but have reduce the amount dispensed from one to approximately 3/4.  No change yet but I get the Oestrodose tomorrow.
Any thoughts?

hello - I know this is an old post, but I was wondering how you were getting on?

I've just been given 6 pumps of oestrodose (3 months supply) and I've been used to oestrogel up til now, so oestrodse is definitely still around.  Indeed the label indicates that the parallel import company is based in Wembly (west london and not too far from where I live...)

arc73

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 10:06:26 AM »

aah interesting. I've been on Oestrogel (with a mirena) since May this year and within a few months it had worked wonders on the early LS/VA that a year of dermovate etc hadn't really helped. However just over a month ago I noticed that my new bottle had different packaging, but the ingredients were still the same (well on the label stuck over the original one) so I thought nothing of it and carried on as usual. Within about 2 weeks I start with a massive flare down below, my sleep is worse, my hips feel stiff and I am increasingly irritable. I recall saying to my partner that it feels like my oestrogen has taken a sudden dip.

Newest bottle my normal Oestrogel, within a week things have already started to improve.

I'm seeing all these posts, and yes understand that there shouldn't be any difference in the product but there clearly is something not so effective for many of us with the Oestrodose.

I will be opening all future packaging the in chemist to check what I've actually been given
Pages: 1 [2]