Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy? ( New member)  (Read 928 times)

Perce88

Vaginal Atrophy? ( New member)
« on: November 01, 2021, 04:37:59 PM »

Hi all,
I had a radical hysterectomy 7yrs ago as I had cancer and started HRT straight away.
I have had the odd hot flush, and vaginal dryness other than that all ok.
I was worried about being on HRT for 7yrs and stupidly, rather than speak to the Dr took it upon myself to wean off HRT.
All seemed ok until the feelings of dryness dramatically increased to the point I have constant burning, so sore despite using Yes vaginal moisturiser.
I have had it for days,
I have done a urine sample, any helpful advice please
Thanks in advance  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal Atrophy? ( New member)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 05:19:05 PM »

Hi!  it's OK.  Ring your GP and ask for appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment.  The idea is either 'ovestin' or 'vagifem' which is inserted gently into the vagina every night for 12-14 days.  As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry: inside and out.  Once the symptoms begin to ease we can drop the treatment to every 3rd and every 7th night, so it's a very little uptake.

Some require a moisturiser as well, i.e. YES or Slyc ever night.  Many use 'ovestin' on the outer labia as well as internally.

Which HRT was prescribed?  Did it help?

Browse round, make notes ;-). Ask away.

Perce88

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 05:29:44 PM »

Oh, there is treatment to help then.
I will ring the Dr,  will I have to be examined  or can I give the symptoms?

Kilofem HRT I was on and whilst taking it very little problems, I just worried about the amount of time I had been on HRT

Thanks for your reply :-)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 05:47:32 PM »

You shouldn't need an examination.  It will be up to your GP, who may want to give you the once over - but don't be fobbed off.  Ring the Surgery and ask for treatment, 4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there with intermittent bladder irritation.

My GP recognised my symptoms and prescribed treatment which needs to be used regularly.  The idea is that the localised application plumps up the vaginal tissues which will stop any itchiness.  Let us know how you get on. 

Perce88

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 06:07:43 PM »

Oh ok
Many thanks
I will keep you posted x