Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT query  (Read 1986 times)

angelteejay

HRT query
« on: November 01, 2021, 11:13:12 AM »

I’ve just seen my doctor about trying HRT again. He said because I take a progesterone as a mini pill and it’s stopped my periods I can just use an oestrogen only patch. Is that right?? I mean I trust him as a doctor but he’s still training and I’m not sure that’s right?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT query
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 11:32:48 AM »

I wouldn't know but I am sure that someone will be along with knowledge.

Which symptom would you like to ease first?  R U aware of vaginal atrophy, mayB read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads - 4warned is 4armed ;-). Let us know how you get on.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 11:56:41 AM »

I don't think your GP is correct. I seem to remember that the Mirena coil gives sufficient prtectio for the uterus but that you need to add in progesterone if you are on the mini pill.  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 12:04:03 PM »

You may find information here taken from the menu on this site https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php

Taz x

angelteejay

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 12:14:55 PM »

It does seem a bit odd. He said the mini pill was sufficient enough as I’m post menopausal. But I’m still not so sure… I can’t find anything online about it at all.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 01:28:26 PM »

Oh I thought you must be peri if you are on the mini pill. Is there info in the link I posted?

angelteejay

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 01:59:06 PM »

No you have to use contraception until you are aged 54, post menopause. Something to do with solitary egg releases could happen. Highly unlikely I think though. I was told last year that there wasn’t enough progesterone in the mini pill to act as progesterone part of HRT. Now it seems there is?!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 02:44:42 PM »

Where on earth  :-\

If U are the Pill  :-\. Post menopause - let's start again.

Peri menopause, which can start B4 we realise and can cause symptoms, are the years leading up to the final period, which is the 'menopause'.  No more periods, no more eggs released.   One uses contraception when 1 continues to have monthly periods, or they are waxing and waning - mine came and went for several years B4 I was done  ::). Age has nowt to do with it. 

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 03:26:23 PM »

No you have to use contraception until you are aged 54, post menopause. Something to do with solitary egg releases could happen. Highly unlikely I think though. I was told last year that there wasn’t enough progesterone in the mini pill to act as progesterone part of HRT. Now it seems there is?!

You have to use contraception for one year after your last period if you are over 50 or for two years if you are under 50 at the time of your last period.  From the age of 54 you are allowed to use continuous (no-bleed) HRT.  When was your last natural period? Do you know?  :-\

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 08:57:09 PM »

I’ve just seen my doctor about trying HRT again. He said because I take a progesterone as a mini pill and it’s stopped my periods I can just use an oestrogen only patch. Is that right?? I mean I trust him as a doctor but he’s still training and I’m not sure that’s right?

Hello, I have been on Evorel patches and Destrogel for 9 months. A few weeks ago I spoke to a new doctor and she was shocked I was not on progesterone too. She said I need that as well to protect the lining of the womb. I do not know if this is correct or not but I just thought I would share this with you in case it is helpful.

CrispyChick

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 09:47:18 PM »

The mini pill is most definitely not licenced as the progesterone component of hrt.

Whether or not the dose is sufficient for protection, who knows.

I had this confirmed by Dr Currie a year or so back, as I was hoping that might work for me.