Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy  (Read 818 times)

Moonflower

Hysteroscopy
« on: October 28, 2021, 07:10:58 PM »

Hi,
Has anybody had this for post menopausal bleeding? I have an appointment tomorrow and I'm dreading it. It sounds so painful especially with atrophy  :'(

suzysunday

Re: Hysteroscopy
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 07:53:05 PM »

Everyone is different and some have no problem with them.   I had one a few years ago and opted for a general anaesthetic.   If it's too much for you when they start the procedure tomorrow don't be frightened to ask them to stop and rearrange for a general anaesthetic.  I don't know what else to advise because some women have no problem.  I just felt I could not cope.   All the best and thinking of you.

Lioness86

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 08:29:27 PM »

I had a hysteroscopy for post menopause bleeding a few weeks ago. I was told to take 2 paracetamol 30 mins before the procedure.  It was a bit uncomfortable but for me no worse than a smear test.  They inject quite a lot of liquid during the procedure so think that must have helped.  They also took a biopsy at the same time which was probably the worst bit but very brief.  I have since had a fibroid and two polyps removed under general anaesthetic.  The hospital staff were very supportive so try not to worry it doesnt Take very long.

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 08:30:09 PM »

Yes, I've had 3.  Two in fertile years & 1 postmenopause for unscheduled bleeding like you.  1st was under general but laparoscopy & D&C were done at same time.  2nd was with local anaesthetic injection & light sedation - awake but relaxed & that was painless & by far the easiest of the three.  3rd was without any sedation or anaesthetic several years postmenopause.  I found it uncomfortable but was able to allow them to complete it & it was over in a few minutes. 

I was advised to take painkillers an hour before & recommend you do this unless they have given other instructions.  I would opt for local anaesthetic & a light sedative to relax you if this is on offer & you are OK with sedative medication.  If not, as suzysunday says, ask them to pause if you need to & if it's too much, ask them to stop. 

There has been a range of experiences on here, some finding it a lot easier than they imagined & you may well be among them.  It's natural to be anxious so I'd tell the team beforehand how you are feeling & they'll do all they can to help as it's in their interests as well as yours that you are as relaxed & comfortable as possible.  Good luck, I hope it goes well.
Wx

Moonflower

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 09:52:36 PM »

Thank you all so much for taking the time to let me know what your experiences were like.  I think I will deinitely take some painkillers beforehand and ask for some more pain relief if they can offer it to me.  I had the trans vaginal scan today but it still felt sore after painkillers.  I had had one before so knew what it was like but I'm very anxious about tomorrow's hysteroscopy.  I'm hoping I won't have to have it.  Is it normal to have both examinations?

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 06:31:02 AM »

Hi Moonflower, yes it's standard procedure to do a transvaginal scan & hysteroscopy for postmenopausal bleeding but if they didn't tell you you'll definitely have one today then perhaps not (I see from your latest post that seems not to be certain).  It's just a precaution - nothing abnormal was found with any of my hysteroscopies.  They may do a tiny biopsy to sample the lining, but this is just a little pinch, over in an instant & again is standard - doesn't mean they have seen anything suspicious.  Will be thinking of you today. :hug:  All be behind you soon.
Wx
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 06:34:10 AM by Wrensong »

Moonflower

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 10:22:39 PM »

Thank you Wrensong x 

I didn't have to have it today!!   :)  The nurse said my transvaginal scan showed a normal thickness of the womb lining so I was dismissed.  Such a relief!  I was actually offered the hysteroscopy earlier in the week but I couldn't make it so I arranged it for after the transvaginal scan.  They did actually say they try to arrange the transvaginal scan before the hysteroscopy but it doesn't always work out that way.  So now I know if this happens again to always have the scan before the hysterscopy to avoid an unnecessary hysteroscopy  ;D

Thanks ladies xx

Wrensong

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 08:59:07 AM »

That's great news Moonflower. :)  Thanks for updating us.
Wx

suzysunday

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 06:15:49 PM »

What a relief for you.  I'm really pleased!