Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Menopausal, considering HRT, historic issues with Microgynon  (Read 842 times)

sjh3boys

• First Flush
Menopausal, considering HRT, historic issues with Microgynon
« on: October 28, 2021, 04:53:59 PM »

Afternoon

I'm new here, hi everyone.

I'm 49 and have not had a period for over 3 years, I've been suffering symptoms such as brain fog, flushes and periodic depression throughout this time, about 6 years.  Generally I can cope with it all.

However I'm in a particularly bad way at the moment and so am thinking about HRT, but don't know where to begin.  In my early 20s I took Microgynon for a couple of years and it caused me enormous weight gain and depression, as well as stomach cramps.  I stopped taking it and have never taken any contraception since.

I spoke with my Doctor yesterday who told me to go away and do my own research (!) but sort of explained that HRT has to be taken alongside either the coil or a contraceptive pill which has set off massive alarm bells for me.

So, does anyone have any advice for me?  I absolutely don't know what to do, this is very overwhelming.  I'm scared to go on the pill again in any form as it clearly didn't agree with me, but right now I'm so down and sad it's taking over my head too much.

Thanks for reading.

Perinowpost

Re: Menopausal, considering HRT, historic issues with Microgynon
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 07:17:45 AM »

Hi there so sorry you’ve been suffering it’s awful isn’t it? Many of us on here have been where you are now and your symptoms are all classic meno symptoms.

The good news is hrt addresses oestrogen deficiency and can really help (if you are open to it). I’m on it and wouldn’t do without it.

Like you I couldn’t tolerate microgynon when I tried it the contraceptive pill in my twenties and that has translated to a sensitivity to progesterone now in my fifties.

You would be better off trying a sequential routine so that you introduce oestrogen and progesterone separately so you know how they are affecting you. I use evorel 50 patches for oestrogen which are marvellous. I’ve struggled with progesterone but currently use utrogestan vaginally.

You are not alone, there are lots of lovely ladies who will hopefully be along to help. Also use the search box on the forum to do your research. Wishing you well x

sjh3boys

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 12:26:31 PM »

Thank you for replying I really appreciate that.

Do you start the treatments separately or together?

I don’t even know what to ask for!

I’ve also been using Estriol cream recently but don’t know how that fits in?

Thanks xx

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 12:39:56 PM »

Start separately with the oestrogen. I use evorel patches, 50 is an average dose.

Then introduce progesterone after 2 weeks . It would be noresthisterone if you get the evorel sequi. Or you can ask for utrogestan which is a separate micronised progesterone (I use this).

By introducing them separately you’ll know what’s doing what/how they make you feel, etc.

It’s ok to use estriol cream alongside, it’s such a low dose there are no issues with this x

VictoryV

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »

Hi Sjh3boys and welcome,
Sorry to hear you’re struggling. I reacted to the pill just like you and my GP told me I had to be on the pill to get my first HRT prescription too. I told her I was absolutely not entertaining the pill or coil and that I had a drawer full of condoms which protect for STI’s too. It was rubbish but it worked.
I would ask for Oestrogel and Utrogestan immediately. I was in a very bad depressive and anxious sweating mess when I finally got to speak to a GP and I’ve not had weight gain or depression since day 2 of taking the Oestrogel. I was at the end of my tether with it all.
Read as much as you can and ask anything and good luck.
Victoria.x☀️

Paz23

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 01:02:29 PM »

Hi,
Like you I too had problems with the contraceptive pill.
For my HRT I use oestrogel which I like because I can change the dose if I feel my symptoms get worse, I could have a patch that releases oestrogen but that is harder to control the dose.
For the progesterone I have a Mirena coil fitted. It acts as a very effective contraceptive (which I still need) but also looks after the progesterone part of HRT. Because hardly any of the hormone enters you blood stream it’s very unlikely you get any nasty side effects. The only side effect I get is lack of periods which is a definite plus for me. I prefer this way if getting progesterone as I’ve read so many stories on here with ladies having bad side effects to other sorts.
I found doing my own research quite empowering and meant I was extremely prepared in telling my gp what I wanted.
Check out Dr Newson’s website for the most up to date research/info.
Good luck and ask anything x

monicap

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 09:08:27 PM »

A lot of women have problems with the pill because none of them use natural progesterone. Gold standard HRT is body identical and tends to cause fewer problems. It's composed of:

1) Estradiol transdermally (patch, spray or gel)
2) Utrogeston/micronised progesterone (orally or vaginally if you're sensitive to progesterone)

And if you still have problems with libido/arousal/orgasm and and low energy:

3) Testosterone gel

sjh3boys

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »

Thank you all so much.  I will research the items you all mention above.

I must admit I am anxious about the progesterone having such a bad experience in the past, and reading the side effects they sound the same as those I experienced before.

Are there any particular benefits over the different ways of taking HRT?  How soon do you see a benefit (or know it's not working), a couple of weeks?

I want to feel better, but I am worried about feeling worse!

Thanks all, you've been a massive help.  I already know more than I did xx