Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How to restart HRT  (Read 733 times)

LaoiseK

• First Flush
How to restart HRT
« on: January 05, 2022, 07:04:49 PM »

Hi
Hoping someone might be able to help me with the following situation.  I have been on a continuous hrt regime for over the past two years. ( x3 oestrogel and utrogestron vaginally on alternate nights) Prior to this I had no periods for about a year and a half and undetectable oestrogen.  Since September I have had difficulty falling and staying asleep and as I’m taking no other medication I decided to stop hrt over three weeks ago to see if it would help.  It hasn’t and I started a period a few days back.  Unsure as to whether this period signifies a return of my own cycle or residual hormones from hrt.  I know I need to go back on oestrogen as I feel my body gets tired more easily and I used to have really bad muscle aches and feel this returning but I’m unsure as to how to start up again.  I was on a continuous regime and now that I’ve had a period I’m wondering do I have to go on a cyclical one as I imagine I might  have breakthrough bleeds having had a period? Also should I wait till my period has finished to start back? I’ve also discovered that I don’t want to use the oestrogel anymore as it has been so drying on my skin, I only absorb on my upper arms and they had become really sensitised to the product. 
Thanks
Laoise

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How to restart HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 07:56:44 PM »

Difficult to decide to wait to see if the bleed stops or to begin immediately.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles maybe lax = aches and pains.  Also the body may become dry: inside and out: skin, vagina, deep in the ears, eyes, between the toes ....... there are other ways to apply HRT if absorption is problematic.