Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: When do I start my Utrogestan?  (Read 4448 times)

pudnpie

• First Flush
When do I start my Utrogestan?
« on: October 27, 2021, 12:10:32 PM »

Hi

Thanks for letting me join your group. I started on HRT today and I am feeling a bit lost, stressed and fed up.  The whole thing has been a bit of drama which I am probably over reacting to but that is why I need HRT lol. Why is it so hard?! Anyway, my GP said I had to ask the pharmacist any questions I had about taking it but the pharmacist didn't know either. I have been prescribed 2 pumps of Oestrogel daily and 200mcg Utrogestan on days 15-26 of the 28 day cycle. I am still having periods though they are now about 6 weeks rather than 28 days apart. So my two questions are please:

1. When do I start with the Utrogestan? The first day of my last period was 8 October so I am now on day 20. Do I wait until my next period and then count 15 days from there? What if one doesn't come along? Do I count the first day as from 5 November which is when it would have been if it was 28 days?

2. I understand that Utrogestan should be taken on an empty stomach and is best before bed. What if you have been out to eat in the evening or for a drink and fancy a bit of kebab toast when you get home. Would it be the end of the world if you did take it on top of your kebab toast? Apart from that I actually quite like the idea of not eating for two hours before because it will stop me nibbling as I watch TV  ;).

I have taken my first gel dose and am now sitting here waiting for something to happen  :o lol

Thanks for reading

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: When do I start my Utrogestan?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 01:52:12 PM »

It's Trial and Error and the Pharmacist needs to look in his MIMMS!

I am sure that someone else will be along.  Any hints in the leaflet in the box? 

:welcomemm:  tell us how old you are, any hobbies, holidays - we have sections for most topics  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 01:53:14 PM »

I pumped the current thread on Utrogestan ;-)

pudnpie

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 02:38:24 PM »

It's Trial and Error and the Pharmacist needs to look in his MIMMS!

I am sure that someone else will be along.  Any hints in the leaflet in the box? 

:welcomemm:  tell us how old you are, any hobbies, holidays - we have sections for most topics  ::)

Hi.  It just says on the 15th day of your cycle. No clue to say if you have passed that day  :-\

I did find this https://www.liverpoolwomens.nhs.uk/media/3548/taking-utrogestan-patient-information-leaflet.pdf . It suggests an alternative way of taking that says just pick a convenient date to start. So maybe my convenient date could be the 15th day from when my next period should have started if it was a 28 day cycle (assuming nothing happens before then).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 02:46:27 PM by pudnpie »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 03:55:20 PM »

It shouldn't be this complicated ?  ::)

Do U keep a mood/symptom/food diary to chart progress?  Some find it useful.

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 06:48:38 AM »

Hi day 1 of your cycle is the first day of a period, so you start the Utrogestan on the 15th day . This should hopefully tie in with your normal cycle.

However if your cycle is erratic then start taking the Oestrogel and start on the 15th day. Note the date and then start on that date every month. xx

Ecl

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 10:16:46 AM »

Hi, I am 5 months in on sandrena gel and utrogestan and had this same question when I started. I am perimenopausal and my periods could be anywhere from 6-12 weeks apart. I asked on here and followed the advice I was given and all was well. I started the oestradiol gel and then two weeks later the utrogestan. My period arrived whilst I was still taking the utrogestan not after but I continued in the correct pattern, gel everyday and utrogestan for 12 days every 4 weeks. For the first 3 months, my period arrived during the utrogestan phase but on the 4th month it just sorted itself and I now have a period on what should be day 1.
The way I sort it for myself is that as my gel comes in satchets
, I put 2 weeks worth in the box, start on a Wednesday and use all those, then I know it’s time for the utrogestan so again put 2 weeks worth of gel in the box and the utrogestan on my pillow so I dont forget ( my remembering allowance is used up by bedtime). I always start the utrogestan on a Wednesday and so find it easier to keep track that way.
Hope this helps

pudnpie

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 10:42:00 AM »

Hi, I am 5 months in on sandrena gel and utrogestan and had this same question when I started. I am perimenopausal and my periods could be anywhere from 6-12 weeks apart. I asked on here and followed the advice I was given and all was well. I started the oestradiol gel and then two weeks later the utrogestan. My period arrived whilst I was still taking the utrogestan not after but I continued in the correct pattern, gel everyday and utrogestan for 12 days every 4 weeks. For the first 3 months, my period arrived during the utrogestan phase but on the 4th month it just sorted itself and I now have a period on what should be day 1.
The way I sort it for myself is that as my gel comes in satchets
, I put 2 weeks worth in the box, start on a Wednesday and use all those, then I know it’s time for the utrogestan so again put 2 weeks worth of gel in the box and the utrogestan on my pillow so I dont forget ( my remembering allowance is used up by bedtime). I always start the utrogestan on a Wednesday and so find it easier to keep track that way.
Hope this helps

It does. Thank you. It is very helpful. I am away for the weekend next weekend so I will start it when I get back which will be the two weeks.