Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Stop HRT or not? Any Help?  (Read 1376 times)

menopausalalways

Stop HRT or not? Any Help?
« on: October 26, 2021, 02:29:24 PM »

Hmm -would be grateful for some help and advice. As I wasn't feeling particularly bright on HRT (have been using Everol Conti  patches for a couple of months) I suddenly decided to stop them as I didn't notice any difference - just went cold turkey.
The breakthrough  bleeding is lessening which I'm pleased about - however I am experiencing bowel/digestive issues and food intolerances I've never experienced before!
I feel like I need to have a poo - sit on the loo and nothing happens - or conversely it floods out as I've resorted to Glycerin suppositories.
Its making me really miserable. Don't say "Ask the Doc - they aren't interested, and it takes months to get an appt"
Should I cut my remaining patches in half and use them or go back to a full patch? Or just sit it out (bit difficult as I've got sciatica), or have I been too hasty and rather impatient?
I've read that digestive issues are common during Menopause/Postmenopause
Advice needed :O)
Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Stop HRT or not? Any Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 03:31:19 PM »

We have a thread on bowels  ::).  Certainly they can be affected by hormones, in the week B4 a period was due, I would feel bunged up then 10 mins. B4 a bleed began I would have to rush with the runs: even if a period wasn't due!

When did U stop the patches?  I would give my body time to settle . 

Sciatica can be relleved with pain relief and a walk.  It sorts my pain, I take 'nurofen'. 

monicap

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 10:03:11 PM »

It's worth trying to get your HRT right as the benefits will last many decades. The gold standard treatment is:

1) Estradiol (oestrogen) transdermally (patch, spray or gel)
2) Utrogeston/micronised progesterone (orally or vaginally if you're sensitive to progesterone)

And if you still have problems with libido/arousal/orgasm and and low energy:

3) Testosterone gel

Some women are fine with the regime their GP puts them on and immediately start feeling better, but some of us need to be referred to an NHS Menopause Clinic to get things right.

Allergies/food intolerances often get worse or appear around the time of the menopause. I've heard that the decline in our testosterone can be a factor here. Oestrogen is naturally inflammatory, but testosterone is anti-inflammatory.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 10:07:26 PM by monicap »

pollywollydoodle

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »

Hi Menopausalalways - have you tried any other hrt products? The progestin in evorel can bring really harsh side effects for some women. If you prefer combined patches you could ask to try Femseven. The mirena coil has the same progestin as Femseven and is useful if you’re still having problematic bleeding with other forms of hrt.

In terms of bowels, progesterone/progestins  can cause problems as they slow the movement of the digestive tract and when they are stopped/lowered, the bowls kick in again. Low oestrogen in untreated menopause is the culprit for a lot of digestive issues, including constipation and IBS.

It might be worthwhile asking for a different product before you rule out hrt entirely, if you get it right, you can feel really well.

Hope this helps.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 11:37:05 AM »

Just to add that despite your saying " Don't say "Ask the Doc - they aren't interested," - I will say that - ANY persistent changes in bowel habit should be reported to the doctor. It should not take months to get an appointment but at least they should give you a phone consultation following an online one - depending on the policy of your practice. Even if it turns out to be hormonal as suggested - please do not be potentially falsely reassured so that you do nothing - and put your mind at rest by reporting to your GP.

Hurdity x

menopausalalways

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 04:06:40 PM »

Thank you Ladies for your words of advice :O)

CherrySG

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 08:41:24 AM »

Hi Florrie, just to add my 50ps worth!

HRT did a real number (excuse the pun) on my bowels, with which I'd never had a single problem until I started it. Unbelievable constipation - slow transit as Polly described. Like you I had glycerin pessaries, also a range of other stuff.

It might settle down once you've been off a few months, mine took a while but is now back to normal.

Miss piggy

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 01:56:03 PM »

Just wondered what you meant by harsh side effects of the progesterone?

Really struggling with stuff here.

Thanks