Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan and photo sensitivity  (Read 951 times)

DottyP

Utrogestan and photo sensitivity
« on: October 20, 2021, 12:01:33 PM »

Hi, I was about to start HRT with Oestrogel and Utrogestan but have read in the latter’s leaflet not to take it you have photo sensitivity.   My GP knows nothing about this subject.  I have solar urticaria affecting my torso in daylight so does this mean I can’t take progesterone? 

Ana21

Re: Utrogestan and photo sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »

Hi!

Both estrogens and progestogens can cause photosensitivity.  You'll frequently find warnings on hormonal birth control and hormone therapy products.  I'm also photosensitive and take Utro/Prometrium (micronized progesterone).  I use sunscreen and protective clothing to prevent photosensitivity reactions.

As with any new drug, proceed with caution and see how your body reacts.  Since you're using gel, you may want to protect the areas of application from the sun until you know how your body responds.  An individual who experiences a photosensitive reaction on one occasion will not necessarily experience it again or every time.

Hope it goes well for you!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:21:59 PM by Ana21 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 03:37:03 PM »

Interesting subject  :thankyou:

My Dad was prescribed certain anti-depressant medications in the 1970/80s, I can't remember which. He was told to avoid the sunshine at all times.  When I underwent radiotherapy in the 1990s, I was advised to wear a large hat to cover my face, head and neck. 

Ana21

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 10:44:52 PM »

Hi CLKD!

I'm guessing your dad was on the old tricyclic antidepressants, some of which are still in use.  If you're curious, here's a list of photosensitising drugs:

https://www.sussexpartnership.nhs.uk/node/1517/attachment.pdf

Many of the drugs mentioned on this forum appear on the list, such as ciprofloxacin, ibuprofen, St. John's Wort.  I have several in my medicine cabinet.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 08:28:21 AM »

We are a Mine of Info on here  :thankyou: