Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: VA issues  (Read 1086 times)

Cgal

• First Flush
VA issues
« on: October 26, 2021, 11:51:33 AM »

My GP reluctantly put me on hrt patches (Evorel Conti) at my request mainly for severe flushing and vaginal atrophy. The atrophy had got so bad that sex was impossible but all she had previously kept suggesting was lubricant (made no difference) and then Vagifem. Vagifem helped a little with moisture but sex was still not an option as it’s like there is no elasticity there any more. The patch helped massively with the flushes and I only get 2 or 3 mild ones a night now. Having sex became almost possible, but was still too painful (for us both). I asked the GP if it was possible to use a topical hrt cream at the same time as my patch but she said no and instead has put me on Kliovance tablets. I didn’t really want to take tablets because of the increased risk of stroke but she said that was the only other option. She said normally she would have tried another type of patch first but Evorel is the only one that can be obtained in this area at the moment as all others are having supply issues. Does anyone know if taking Kliovance will really make more difference than using Evorel patches?  Also does anyone know if I’ve to leave a gap between stopping the patches and starting the tablets?  I forgot to ask my GP and it’s ridiculously difficult to get even a telephone appt with our surgery for me to ask.  Sorry for such a long post.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 12:26:06 PM by Cgal »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA issues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 12:34:47 PM »

She's talking rubbish.   :-X

:welcomemm:

Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads on the forum. Make notes ;-)

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out which includes skin and the vaginal area.  Appropriate treatment "Vagifem" or "Ovestin" will help.  If necessary use nightly until symptoms ease.  The idea is to plump up the tissues in the vagina - it may take a few months B4 penetration is comfy, many of us use  :vibe: ;-).

VA treatment is usually 12-14 nights continually then every 3rd and 6th night, some require nightly - it's Trial and Error and the label is guidance.  If you get the need2P feelings, take pain relief as it relaxes the bladder spincter as it shuts off the urine flow.  I use KY jelly or a little 'ovestin' if the area becomes dry/itchy.

Your GP should know what is available in your area so ring and explain that Evorel Conti is your best treatment option at the moment.  Many GPs still believe that we can 'overdose' on oestrogen!! but many take various forms of HRT including that for VA.  Do U still have some of the patches if so I would continue with them and get the next prescription in good time.

Ask away there's usually someone who has a) had your symptoms and b) is around to sympathise.  Do read "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" written by a Member on the Forum, then hand to your Practice Nurse ;-).  Let us know how you get on.

Cgal

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 02:32:52 PM »

Thanks for your reply CLKD, I’ll try and find the articles you suggested. I don’t have any patches left so only have the Kliovance now. Don’t know whether to give it a go and if there’s no difference I can ask to go back on Evorel patches again.  And maybe I should ask again about using an HRT cream in addition. I’m only 52 and not ready to stop having sex! My GP is usually great but her menopause knowledge doesn’t seem so good and she seems pretty anti hrt in general. I’ve tried to ask to be referred to a menopause clinic but there’s none in my area  :(

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 02:50:34 PM »

Cgal...some women have had great success with a product called Intrarosa (DHEA).  From many articles on the subject, seems DHEA is one of the better options for problems re:  sex.  Also ladies have talked about testosterone but believe that is more for lack of libido.  As CLKD mentioned, vagifem is for life and need to be used as often as necessary.  I use 5x a week.  Another option is Ovestin which is a cream and might be better suited for you.  Hopefully other ladies will be along to offer their expertise.

Good luck and keep us posted.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 03:27:41 PM »

If you meet resistance from the GP ask for a referral to a Menopause clinic, not a Gynaecologist but a dedicated Clinic that deals with menopause.  There mayB one at your local Hospital.  Let us know how you get on?

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 03:30:46 PM »

Ovestin has been great for me.  Don't be put off 52 is no age and of course you still want to enjoy lovemaking.   Great answers on here and just keep trying to get the right treatment .  You have all my sympathy, it's horrible going through this without useless gps. 

Cgal

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 07:06:25 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Isn’t it ridiculous that our GPs just don’t seem to have enough info on menopause?  ::)  I’m going to give the Kliovance a go for now I think and next time I have the energy to try and get a GP appt I’m going to ask about the Ovestin and DHEA options. It’s unfortunate that I’m in an area with no menopause clinic as that does sound like a great idea. I’ll report back in a month or two.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 07:49:22 PM »

VA can be treated locally - I don't require any other HRT except 'ovestin' to ease the vaginal dryness.  Some require HRT as well.  Let us know how you get on?

Jules

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 12:20:18 AM »

I was prescribed vagifem pessary for VA and I noticed a difference within a week though I wasn't having pain with sex. I'm 10 years older than you and still enjoy sex so don't give up. I know a 47 year old who has because it's too painful.  There's not enough information available