Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Spelt  (Read 1581 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Spelt
« on: January 28, 2023, 02:25:41 PM »

The reason why I mentioned this is that, on a recent TV programme, a farmer who grows it told the viewer that people with allergies/intolerances are able to tolerate it.

Differences [Wikipedia]

Spelt is also higher in fiber than wheat, and the extra fiber aids in the digestion of the gluten. Modern wheat has been bred to contain a high gluten content for the production of high-volume commercial baked goods. The content and character of the gluten in spelt has not been modified from its natural state.

also from the same source :

A large body of evidence indicates that spelt is easier to digest than wheat, and is generally better tolerated. It also provides you with a broader spectrum of nutrients than wheat. It is an excellent source of B1, B2, B3 (Niacin), manganese, magnesium, protein and fibre as well having a low glycemic index.14 Oct 2013
. The body of evidence isn't mentioned however.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 02:27:18 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

Re: Spelt
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 02:29:32 PM »

Sharpham Park - the home of British Spelt - mayB have a lookC at their website and ask questions?  [Somerset]

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 02:32:26 PM »

Thanks clkd,tbh I'd be terrified to try it, I have such a bad reaction to wheat,the stomach cramps are horrendous, I once tried rye bread but think I'd rather go without lol

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 02:33:35 PM »

that's fine.