Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Dizzy  (Read 1305 times)

rmurphy

Dizzy
« on: October 22, 2021, 06:51:05 AM »

It's 1:45am where I am and I can't sleep! I feel dizzy when I lay down. This is a new symptom for me. Is there anything I can do to make the room stop spinning?

Taz2

Re: Dizzy
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 06:58:00 AM »

Could it be labyrinthitis? Room spinning type dizziness is usually linked to inner ear problems rather than just menopause. It's a horrible sensation. Do you also feel nauseous?  :hug:

Floo36

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 12:28:32 PM »

It’s awful and one of the many low Estrogen symptoms I have, I even had an MRI which was clear.  Where are you with meno, do you take HRT?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 02:23:32 PM »

It can be awful.  I know when I open my eyes if it's going to be problematic.

Your GP can prescribe 'stemotil' or similar, I have used anti-travel sickness medication too.  It can be low oestrogen or caused by a nerve trapped in the back of the neck.

How do U feel now?

mandss

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »

Over the counter travel sickness pills may help, there are some manoeuvres you can look up which help to settle the crystals in the ear. I cannot remember what they are called tho, sorry not much use am I x

rmurphy

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 08:56:51 PM »

It finally subsided at 230 in the morning. I didn't feel nauseous, just room spinning. This is the first time it's happened.

Not on HRT. I worry about the risks - no history of cancer in my family, thank God - but I don't want to take any chances. I'm just riding it out naturally.

As for where I am in meno... Honestly, I have no idea if I'm still in peri or over the meno line. My first post to this forum spells out where I am. Maybe someone can nail it down for me.

But I'm almost at 3 months of a continuous watery bleed - or maybe just discharge tinged with blood - from a uterine polyp. No pain, cramps, or bloating.  Just annoyed and hoping it will stop soon.

Ana21

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 03:45:53 PM »

I'm wondering whether it's BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), a condition associated with menopausal hormonal fluctuations.  I suffer from occasional bouts.  My first episode was in peri.

Here's an article about BPPV to help you identify the symptoms:
https://www.todaysgeriatricmedicine.com/archive/MA19p24.shtml

Here's a video you may find useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQR6b7CAiqk

And if you like scientific articles, this may interest you:  Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo Risk Factors Unique to Perimenopausal Women
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7596253/

I find the Foster half-somersault works best for me.  Here's a PDF with detailed instructions.  I keep a printed copy handy.
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/6063852/Documents/vertigo-remedy-english.pdf

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 08:44:12 PM »

Stemetil was fantastic for me when I had dizzy spells and room spins. You take it as needed as it works pretty quickly.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 08:01:50 AM »

Peri and menopause are 'natural' and many symptoms are therefore, natural.  If U can tolerate the dizziness ............ I never could.   :-\

Tnx Ana. 

rmurphs - what risks exactly?  Quality of Life is important, otherwise many months/years can be lost to menopause symptoms un-necessarily.  Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress? 

rmurphy

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 03:28:57 PM »

rmurphs - what risks exactly?  Quality of Life is important, otherwise many months/years can be lost to menopause symptoms un-necessarily.  Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress? 

Cancer risks, I suppose. So many articles warning about cancer risks when using HRT and others exalting the virtues of HRT. What to believe? On top of all the weird peri/meno symptoms (being a touch OCD, brain fog really annoys me), being a highly anxious person does not help, either. I worry about everything.

If that isn't enough, the barrage of drug adverts in the US makes you terrified to take any drug. The long list of side effects is horrific! There is an ad for a diabetes drug that raises the chance of getting gangrene of the genitals! Everyone here is baffled as to why these drugs are allowed to be prescribed to actual humans.

As for Quality of Life, it centers around the peace of mind I'd have not worrying about going through the hell of a cancer fight and dragging my family down that path with me. If I can avoid that by riding it out, I will.

No mood/food/symptom diary. My symptoms are too random (or seem that way). I've cut my caffeine and sugar, upped my leafy greens, healthy seeds and nuts, and proteins. Just trying to stay active and healthy. Heart disease runs in my family, so that is what I focus on most.

Reading about everyone's experiences here helps a ton, too. It's reassuring that I'm not the only one and I'm not going crazy. Thanks ladies!  :bighug:

~Becky

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 03:33:54 PM »

So many articles have been dismissed and discredited  :-\.  The info you get here is in the main, good as well as being up2date. 

I have obsessive personalty, when I get my teeth into an issue I don't let go  >:(  :-\.  I have had to learn to listen to DH telling me to 'stop'.  Otherwise  :-X

If you can tolerate your symptoms all well and good.  Reading advice here gives you options.