Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Can't use HRT anymore  (Read 1528 times)

margaret

Can't use HRT anymore
« on: September 21, 2021, 05:22:05 PM »

Hi Ladies, I have been unable to use any topical HRT/transdermal HRT since January why I don't know as I've had amazing results from it for over 5 years.  My symptoms all went away.  I don't seem to tolerate it any more and the burning and bladder symptoms have all returned.  I have also been struggling with  thrush since May, after many courses of treatment with no luck as it keeps returning the doctor has giving me a 6 month course of treatment to see if that will get rid of it.  Can anyone help me, I'm sure the Replens I was using caused the thrush, I've also tried putting Estriol cream inside but I'm having a reaction to that too but I can tolerate a small amount on the outside

sheila99

Re: Can't use HRT anymore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 05:50:28 PM »

Can you tell us what you were on and what side effects you got? Someone may be able to suggest an alternative. Did you have problems with hrt too or did you just decide it was time to stop?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 10:01:07 PM »

Ladies can use HRT for Life.  If it ain't broke etc.?

Symptoms will return if the body hasn't adjusted to it's own rhythm.  Which is why replacement therapy really can help.

Thrush shouldn't return if treated correctly.  Vaginal Atrophy can mimic thrust and repeated urine infection-type symptoms.  What's the worst issue 4 U right now?

Bluesky

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 06:22:41 PM »

Hi Margaret, I was also put on 6months course of anti thrush (vaginal pessaries once a week) but this didn't work. It is been a year since I started with VA and thrush. GP never did a swab, I paid one privately which confirmed it but back then I was non the wiser and thought candida was just one, I was wrong there are dif types. The GP's referral to GUM clinic came 8 months later (covid waiting list horrendous) GUM clinic did another swab to proper see what type of candida is and if it is resistant or not to Fluconazol. I do have one type that is resistant to Fluconazol so treatment is different, GUM clinic sent me a month after the proper swab a different vag cream but this hasn't worked either-I have been with this for a year, so quite naive to think a quick course of 14 days will work!!, so again waiting for another phone appointment end of Oct.....this is never ending story. What I am trying to say is that you need to get a swab to identify the type , otherwise you will be wasting the time like happened to me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 06:43:06 PM »

Candida thrives on sugars.  It lives in the back passage so there is a risk of it being passed to the vaginal area.

Bluesky - can you tell us more about 'thrush' ?  I have used LIVE yoghurt, eaten and applied with success, to cleanse the the whole digestive tract.  Two pots, kept separately, of course ;-)

Floo36

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »

What do you mean by not being able to tolerate it anymore? What has happened and what symptoms have returned?

Jasmine20

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 12:29:18 PM »

There are some good probiotics for women that can help with the microbial balance inside the vagina - Optibac for Women, Garden of Life Once Daily for Women, Culturelle Natural Flora for Women. It may take weeks to see a difference.

Have you been on systemic HRT? I found I needed systemic estrogen to allow me to really tolerate localised vaginal HRT. It made my vagina much less reactive to topical treatments.

Bluesky

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 06:42:42 PM »

@CLKD- There are different specimen of candida. The most common is Albicans which normally usually respond well to over the counter antifungals like Fluconazol, or Canesten cream/pessaries etc...but there are other candida specimens non albicans, and some are resistant to Fluconazol or similar. So if you are not responding to the over the counter antifungals, then you should get a swab to identify the specimen and sensitivity to give a proper treatment cause if it is resistant to fluconazole, then you are just doing nothing to fix the problem.