Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Alternative to vagifem?  (Read 1115 times)

Stella2

Alternative to vagifem?
« on: October 22, 2021, 04:35:54 PM »

My problem is too many trips to the bathroom at night. It was good when I started vagifem for 14 days daily. However, when not taking it every night, the problem persists. I don't want to go on full HRT, I am afraid that taking vagifem every day is not a good idea without progesterone. I would appreciate any advice  :)

jaypo

Re: Alternative to vagifem?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 05:52:35 PM »

Hi,I think vagifem is such a low dose,it's perfectly safe to take daily,my Dr tells me to alter my dose as and when I need to,can you call your GP?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 06:11:51 PM »

Use it nightly.  Some ladies require an extra dose mid-afternoon as well as in the evening.  Some need a moisturiser too, it can be Trial and Error.  When I get that need2P I swallow 2 Nurofen capsules 3 times a day for 2 days.  It relaxes the spincter.

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 10:27:09 PM »

My problem is too many trips to the bathroom at night. It was good when I started vagifem for 14 days daily. However, when not taking it every night, the problem persists. I don't want to go on full HRT, I am afraid that taking vagifem every day is not a good idea without progesterone. I would appreciate any advice  :)

Ask your doctor to up the dosage, you can take up to 5 per week maximum, I'm assuming you've gone download to 2 per week which is not enough for mosr people. If he/she wont do this ask to be referred to a consultant who can prescibed every day if needed.  You dont need progesterone with Vagifem as it is such a small dose and it doesn't cause the lining of the womb to thicken as in full HRT without progesterone.

Stella2

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 08:38:39 AM »

Thank you for your replies! I was not sure if, using it every day I would need progesterone too and now I feel reassured  :)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 12:37:55 PM »

Vaginal atrophy treatment doesn't require any other hormonal input.  Go back to every night ?

Stella2

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 10:05:50 PM »

Thank you it's interesting it's mostly the bathroom frequency rather than vaginal issues

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 08:06:46 AM »

Those symptoms may be the start of atrophy.  Drink plenty as kidneys will work harder if the body is dehydrated.  Sometimes we do pass more urine at night because the hormone that slows down nocturnal urine output has gone awry. 

In your situation I would give appropriate VA treatment a try for 4-6 months 2 C if symptoms ease.  Don't get to the point of dreadful pain, 4 me it was like razor blades  :( :( :o up there!

Stella2

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 08:31:00 AM »

Thank you, it sounds horrible what you had to go through, hope you are well now.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 08:56:10 AM »

I suffered from the age of 14 :-\ - went on the pill at 17.  Solved the pains.

OK now  :thankyou:

Stella2

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 05:15:16 PM »

Glad you are well now!