Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: What now?  (Read 1380 times)

Emo10

What now?
« on: October 19, 2021, 07:34:45 PM »

Hi, I'm Emma I am 41 and I'd really appreciate some support in my perimenopause journey.

I've been fortunate enough to be in good health for most of my adult life but in the last couple of years and particularly in the last 10 months I've struggled. Through lots of research and investigation I suspect I am in perimenopause.

I had an ovary removed 5 years ago so suspect that has contributed to my early transition. I have had numerous investigations into the independent symptoms I've been experiencing including neurology, thyroid, stroke. Finally I had my FSH measured and hoped this might give me some understanding of what has been happening to me but the blood can back within normal range.

To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. I really need to know what is happening to me but don't know what to do now. Has anyone got any advice or guidance that might help? Are bloods a definitive regarding perimenopause? Does this resonate with your own experiences?

Thanks in advance!

sheila99

Re: What now?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 08:54:48 PM »

The test can be unreliable. What day in your cycle was it taken? In the UK they're supposed to go on symptoms but many GPs can't join the dots. What symptoms do you have?

Emo10

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 09:22:23 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I was on day 8 of my period. My symptoms include: hot flushes, head aches, a 3 week cycle, very heavy/long periods 8-10 days, waking during the night, palpitations, bloating, anxiety, adrenaline rushes, numbness/tingling, brain fog and depression.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 08:10:52 AM »

All sounds peri to me,have you a Dr at your practice who has knowledge of menopause? Like Sheila says,some Drs just haven't a clue sadly

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 08:25:04 AM »

Sounds like peri to me too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 08:36:20 AM »

Hormonal blood tests are reliably un-reliable!

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Sometimes symptoms remain cyclical as the ovaries continues to work. 

Perimenopause can begin 10+ years prior to the last period: menopause means exactly that: we are done.  However we need to have been through a year without bleeds to really consider that periods are finished.

What is your biggest struggle at the moment, which symptom would you like to ease first?

Emo10

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 05:15:48 PM »

Thank you for your messages and support.

I am going to return to my GP and see if there is anything else they can do. Could a coil help? I've had one in the past and it totally stopped my periods.

My symptoms are definitely cyclical and become more intense the week before my period is due. I do keep a record of my symptoms on an app and have done for a few months now.

The most troubling symptoms are the reduced cognitive function and the adrenaline rushes. The adernaline rushes the week before my period make me feel like my heart might beat out of my chest and might actually die. I feel like I might totally lose control when they come on.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 05:44:00 PM »

You can use the coil for the progesterone part of hrt but it's oestrogen you're short of so you could ask for a patch or oestrogel to go with it.