Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Smear and vagifem  (Read 1021 times)

Ecl

Smear and vagifem
« on: October 18, 2021, 06:07:29 AM »

Hello, just wonder if any of you knowledgable women of the web would be able to help with my query today.
I am perimenopausal and have been on Sandrena (0.5) and utrogestan (days 14-26) for 5 months. It’s marvellous stuff which means most days I can pass as human.
Two weeks ago I had my regular smear test. One week ago I had my 3 month HRT review ( it takes that long to get an appointment, however I cannot fault the doctors if have spoken with).
At the review I explained that I was still getting some bladder and vaginal symptoms and so she prescribed me vagifem as well as my usual Sandrena. I am due to collect my prescriptions today.
The day after my review, I received a letter to tell me that my smear showed mild inflammation. The next day I had another to say that I have HPV but that the cells are normal.
Now I’m not sure whether to use the vagifem or not, will it help? Perhaps reduce the inflammation so the cells are healthier and are less likely to change or will it feed the HPV?
Many thanks for reading this far, I have been worrying about it over the weekend and know it will take another 2 months to get a gp appointment.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Smear and vagifem
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 08:02:47 AM »

Of course you will worry.  Has any follow-up been suggested?  Inflammation is probably due to the vaginal dryness.

Get that 'vagifem' up there ;-).  Every night for at least 2 weeks, some require a double dose occasionally.  Get some 'ovestin' for the outer labial region so that you are less dry inside and out. 

Some require treatment every night, others can spread it out during the week.  It's Trial and Error.  Let us know how you get on.

Ecl

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:07:44 PM »

Thanks CLKD, the pharmacist also said to continue as the only thing they want is another smear in a year.
Can I use it in the mornings? That way I won’t have to remember in the evening ( I’ve used up my remembering allowance by then) and I won’t worry if hubby wants to be intimate.
Thanks again

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 02:53:01 PM »

Most of us use it at night as gravity tends to let it run out again  ::).  But fit it in when you are able to (C what I did there ;-) ).  I'm so sharp I'll cut myself  ;D

I wait to put the 'ovestin' in until DH has made his move/not ;-).  I love it: 'remembering allowance' : covers brain fog really really well  8)

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 03:33:16 PM »

Vagifem in the morning should be fine, it is supposed to adhere to the vaginal wall. If you are very dry and find it floating in the loo later in the day, try coating the applicator in some vaginal moisturiser.
JP x

Ecl

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 09:19:23 PM »

Thank you, will start tomorrow