Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Facial hair increase since HRT  (Read 4356 times)

Teresa

Facial hair increase since HRT
« on: October 17, 2021, 04:23:00 PM »

Hi,
I hope someone can help…
I’ve been on continuous HRT, continuously since Late July/early Aug. Currently taking utrogestan 100 mg orally daily and Estradot ( or Evorel) 50mcg patch. I am 55, post menopause and when I started HRT, my last period was about 18 months before.

I’ve always had a small number of dark hairs pop up on my top lip and I remember that, before HRT I used to run my handy little lady razor thingy  ;D over them, probably once every 3 or 4 weeks. Since being on HRT I’ve noticed that I’m getting more than I ever did and they literally grow back within 4 or 5 days…enough for me to either pluck the noticeable ones out or razor again.  ???

Does this mean that I may need to up my oestrogen? Or am I on too much? I was on the 35mcg Estradot for a very short while but I did still get the same amount of hair….

Thankyou in advance,

Teresa
X

Teresa

Re: Facial hair increase since HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 07:52:21 AM »

Hi,
Please has anyone experienced this increase?
Thankyou,
Teresa

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 07:56:23 AM »

I have always had dark hair on the top lip, bushy eyebrows and hairy legs.

I'm not on HRT.  However, I have hairs under my chin, I began a thread years ago  ::) - which I tweeze every morning.  My legs don't grow as fast these days.  So overall it's probably hormonal .  How much do they bother U? 

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 07:59:31 AM »

Hi,
You're perfectly understandably worried. Sometimes people simply don't reply because the specifics of an issue don't apply to them and they then feel they can't advise? I'm sure someone will be along soon. Who is prescribing for you? Can you contact them? Best to go to the "horse's mouth" sometimes! Good luck.

Teresa

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 08:26:39 AM »

Hi CKLD & Postmeno3,
Thanks for replying  :)
I suppose I’m just a bit surprised by it as I thought that more hair might be due to a loss of hormones, as I experienced more hair when I was approaching menopause. But not as much as this. I’m fair skinned, natural brunette but my hair is dyed blonde, so I am quite aware of it.
I’ve noticed my natural hair that I get on other areas of my face is also darker and it’s usually virtually white…plus I’m getting more hairs in my nose   :-\ It does bother me as I didn’t expect it to all sprout up so quickly after razoring off.
I’ll wait and see if anyone else can think if anything…
Thankyou,
Teresa
X

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 08:27:13 AM »

Hi, can I ask are your main menopause symptoms controlled on this regimen?  If you only started HRT late Jul/Aug, I'm wondering whether only 3 months use has not been long enough to replenish your oestrogen stores sufficiently to balance those of your own testosterone.  Or possibly that you are not absorbing well enough from your Estradot patch. Or, even with good absorption, as you suggest you may need a higher dose.  I'm only on low dose oestrogen & do use tweezers but luckily I'm fair, so the few unwanted hairs are not obvious to the eye, though can be felt as they're coarse.  I have had to taper off HRT several times over the years & once off it the unwanted hair growth noticeably increases.  Any chance of having your oestradiol tested to see how well you're absorbing?

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 08:38:27 AM »

Yes to all of the above, but I wonder if razoring is encouraging growth, or more quickly? Have you tried waxing, threading or electrolysis?

VictoryV

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 08:57:35 AM »

Yes to all of the above, but I wonder if razoring is encouraging growth, or more quickly? Have you tried waxing, threading or electrolysis?
I was thinking the same as Postmeno3; I wouldn’t use a razor as that’ll encourage growth. I use tweezers.

Teresa

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 09:24:09 AM »

Hi Postmeno, Victoryv and Wrensong,

Thankyou all so much…I do wonder if I am absorbing the patches enough. I’ve been frantically googling this morning and it could be the result of too much androgenen, which can be a result of too low oestrogen. My skin is greasier too and my pores are enlarged around my nose…I’ve never had that in my life. I’ve always had very dry skin.
I will tweez from now on :) I usually gave only had to run this little handy razor I have that is fir facial hair, over them in the past - so this increase is unexpected. I’m also getting hairs on my chin and actually on my nose  :'(. I think I’ll call my GP in the morning 😊
Thankyou all,
Teresa
X

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 10:26:35 AM »

Yes Teresa - the greasy skin is another clue that your androgen levels are not being balanced by your oestrogen replacement.  Good idea to speak to your GP.  Hope you make progress.  And yes to tweezing :) rather than the razor, if that's practical for you.
Wx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 11:08:22 AM »

I have a razor-thingy for the hairs I can't reach - those on the side of my cheeks which for some reason, are long, dark and ..........  :D

It's the white stiff 1s that I can feel for hours with a finger, B4 they grow long enough to pull.  It's quite satisfying  ::).  DH tells me that I should stop self harming ......  I have 2 sit in the 'right' light to get 'em all  8)

Teresa

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 12:44:55 PM »

Hi Wrensong & CKLD,

Ah, I thought so about the androgenen. I never knew that existed until I read it. I need to nip this in the bud and soon  :o what a minefield this is! I thought I had this HRT sussed but I am not really feeling the benefit of it yet, some things like hot flushes have diminished and sleep has improved, but nothing else. This could also be why I need to up the oestrogen.
I know those long white hairs CKLD 😊 they do grow long! Mine have a dark tinge to some at the moment and I really don’t want a beard!  :o

Thankyou
Teresa

Wrensong

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 01:56:00 PM »

Yes that's right Teresa, women as well as men produce androgens, among them testosterone & they are important for our wellbeing.   If we've not had reason to learn about it before, many of us don't realise that in fertile years we produce testosterone in considerably larger quantities than we do oestrogen.  Intact ovaries go on producing significant amounts of testosterone postmenopause (adrenal glands are another source), so that for many of us, that's when we first find we have new growth of unwanted facial hair.  It's because the balance of male & female hormones has changed, with the decline in ovarian production of oestrogen.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 01:58:45 PM by Wrensong »

Ruby

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »

Hi there.  Get your testosterone levels checked as an increase in facial hair is often caused by elevated testosterone.