Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Floaters and Flashes  (Read 4151 times)

Dierdre

Floaters and Flashes
« on: October 13, 2021, 05:59:32 AM »

Had sudden black dots and sqiggly things floating around in my right eye the other day then noticed flashing in the corner later when it got dark. Rang my opticians who sent me to Eye Casualty. Had tests and its another age related delight. The jelly becomes detached when it shrivels up. No treatment, just told to get to A&E if i get a full shower of floaters, constant flashing and a veil across my eye as this could be detached retina.
Is this common?

Taz2

Re: Floaters and Flashes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 06:41:46 AM »

Yes but you were wise to get it checked out.  :hug: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/floaters-and-flashes-in-the-eyes/

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 06:50:19 AM »

Yes, it is common. Both my mum and my daughter had this. Both taken seriously and checked out. Both fine. I have floaters, but they have come on gradually. Mum said she thought there were loads of flies in the room at first. My daughter drew a picture of what she could see that had come on overnight. They both got used to it once reassured. You were very sensible to have it checked out, as it could have been a detached retina which is serious.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »

I have them.  1st time was after surgery in 1989: I was reading and the full stop kept moving across the page  :o. They appear then float across the eye, if I rub gently they go.  I know not where  :o.  At my eye test earlier this year, the Optometrist could see some.

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 09:35:01 AM »

I've had them for about a decade since around time of final period.  Fully checked out after Optician referred me to Ophthalmology & later at A&E after a big increase in number of floaters I'd been warned to flag up.  At first just one floater but quite quickly more & more appeared & I now have many in each eye.  The flashes began around same time as first floater but gradually reduced to virtually nil after I started HRT.  When reducing dose or tapering off, the flashes tend to come back.  Floaters have not improved for HRT, though I really hoped they would!  Very noticeable in bright conditions, against light walls & ceilings, some grey specks, some longer strands like thin fibres.  Last Ophthalmologist said he could see them on examination.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 09:39:29 AM »

It's really noticeable when I'm driving in fog. Some of them are interesting shapes though - I currently have a little dinosaur which floats lazily across my vision.  ;D

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 09:46:03 AM »

Seeing floating dinosaurs eh Taz :o?  Not sure ophthalmology is the right specialty for that  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 11:29:18 AM »

:lol:

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 11:58:06 AM »

Seeing floating dinosaurs eh Taz :o?  Not sure ophthalmology is the right specialty for that  ;D
:peace:  ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 12:59:03 PM »

I see spiders webs! As long as there are no spiders…….

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 01:59:29 PM »

;D

shrosphirelass

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 07:22:03 PM »

I get them a lot, seems to be worse if Im tired or maybe I just notice them more. I worry as I sometimes get occular migraine and think they are a prelude to that but they don't seem to be. The optician said it was age related!

Dierdre

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 08:39:55 PM »

Well thats a relief, sounds like its quite a common thing but one to watch if it suddenly gets worse. Thanks everyone for your replies, i suppose its just another thing we will have to get used to.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 09:19:12 PM »

I've had them since my thirties and all of my sons have them too so not always an age or meno thing (for once)  :)

sheila99

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 09:55:59 PM »

I had it, optician says they're more common as you get older. Flashes stopped after about 3 days, I still have a floater but your brain seems to adjust to ignore it. Always good to get it checked out in case the retina is detaching.
Pages: [1] 2