Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Trip to Scotland, but scared to get on plane. DVT  (Read 1636 times)

loonarider

Trip to Scotland, but scared to get on plane. DVT
« on: October 08, 2021, 12:48:56 AM »

Hi

My partners taking me to Scotland for my birthday in November, but I'm scared to death of flying.

I have obviously flown before, but our last trip to Southern France I actually felt like I couldn't breathe on the plane to the point I had to call one of the cabin crew in case I needed air. It was terrifying.

I was very relaxed and even looking forward to the trip back to the UK. But ever since and also knowing my mum got DVT from a trip to Africa ( and it being on her side of the family). I am freaking out.

The thing is I can't cancel this and I'm not even sure we can get a refund for the air bnb we've booked in advance and plane tickets.

Do flight socks work? I mean I've bought a knee length pair.

I don't want to back out of this.

Any advice ?

Thank youx

Ju Ju

Re: Trip to Scotland, but scared to get on plane. DVT
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 06:29:45 AM »

Where are you flying from? DVTs are usually associated with long haul flights and sitting still for hours without exercising your legs. Not just on air flights. Certainly wear flight socks. I wear them when I fly to the USA. Also was was issued a less glamorous version after an operation. You can help by getting up and walking up and down the plane if it’s possible, like going to the loo. But you can help by doing leg/feet exercises while sitting. I expect you can google these though often you can read about them on the blurb in the pocket on the seat in front. I don’t know if this helps with your general anxiety though. I became  really worried about having DVTs after illness and not being able to move about much. One of my legs hurt a lot , so I checked with the GP. He was able to reassure me and produced pictures of what DVTs in a leg looks like. It was probably muscular pain, which resolved eventually. I know of two people who had DVTs, one from frequent long haul flights and the other after sitting in a train from London to Scotland. They have learnt how to prevent this again.

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 06:56:49 AM »

What a shame such a lovely gesture and trip has this cloud over it. I wonder if there's something in Paul McKenna's material which could help you? Also, perhaps try writing a list about what's good about the trip (starting with being that loved!!!!!), what you DO feel excited and happy about. Then, a list about what you might find difficult and then checking in with yourself about how realistic these difficulties are; what are FACTS. I have found the fact thing very, very useful in the past. I'm guessing the first list will be much longer and much more interesting and beneficial than the second, so keep it close. Sounds like a very real opportunity to make beautiful memories after some tough times we've all had to navigate and endure, so I hope you can find a way to overcome this one aspect of it in order to make the most of it. Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 08:09:20 AM by Postmeno3 »

loonarider

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 08:26:37 PM »

What a shame such a lovely gesture and trip has this cloud over it. I wonder if there's something in Paul McKenna's material which could help you? Also, perhaps try writing a list about what's good about the trip (starting with being that loved!!!!!), what you DO feel excited and happy about. Then, a list about what you might find difficult and then checking in with yourself about how realistic these difficulties are; what are FACTS. I have found the fact thing very, very useful in the past. I'm guessing the first list will be much longer and much more interesting and beneficial than the second, so keep it close. Sounds like a very real opportunity to make beautiful memories after some tough times we've all had to navigate and endure, so I hope you can find a way to overcome this one aspect of it in order to make the most of it. Good luck!

Hi,

Thank you! That was a very thoughtful and lovely words. I definitely will be going, I just want to do everything I can to prevent DVT, so I've bought flight socks, and will move about in the plane - stretch my legs, etc.

:D

loonarider

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 08:31:23 PM »

Where are you flying from? DVTs are usually associated with long haul flights and sitting still for hours without exercising your legs. Not just on air flights. Certainly wear flight socks. I wear them when I fly to the USA. Also was was issued a less glamorous version after an operation. You can help by getting up and walking up and down the plane if it’s possible, like going to the loo. But you can help by doing leg/feet exercises while sitting. I expect you can google these though often you can read about them on the blurb in the pocket on the seat in front. I don’t know if this helps with your general anxiety though. I became  really worried about having DVTs after illness and not being able to move about much. One of my legs hurt a lot , so I checked with the GP. He was able to reassure me and produced pictures of what DVTs in a leg looks like. It was probably muscular pain, which resolved eventually. I know of two people who had DVTs, one from frequent long haul flights and the other after sitting in a train from London to Scotland. They have learnt how to prevent this again.

Thank you, that was thorough and very helpful. Will be sure to do the exercises and move about as much as I can. Scares the living daylights out of me the thought of having DVT.

Michelle7474

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 09:07:46 PM »

I suffer with DVT and PE
And I fly and wear stockings and have no problems .. I do exercises why I’m sat down with my feet … and I often get up and stretch & I drink plenty water

I never used to wear stockings and my legs always ached the day we had flown
Then I was speaking to my anticoagulant GP and he said to wear them as they would help the ache
And they did & I have never had achy legs since
The feet excercises are easy and no one would really notice what your doing .. if I’m on train in car or plane I always do these just a habit now
And if I’m flued up and in bed I always do them in bed

You will be ok .. enjoy your trip and your birthday Xx

loonarider

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 09:07:12 AM »

I suffer with DVT and PE
And I fly and wear stockings and have no problems .. I do exercises why I’m sat down with my feet … and I often get up and stretch & I drink plenty water

I never used to wear stockings and my legs always ached the day we had flown
Then I was speaking to my anticoagulant GP and he said to wear them as they would help the ache
And they did & I have never had achy legs since
The feet excercises are easy and no one would really notice what your doing .. if I’m on train in car or plane I always do these just a habit now
And if I’m flued up and in bed I always do them in bed

You will be ok .. enjoy your trip and your birthday Xx

Thank you Michelle,

A lot of helpful advice there. I really appreciate it :) x