Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: sudden allergies  (Read 893 times)

ricekrispie

sudden allergies
« on: October 06, 2021, 08:56:00 PM »

Hello

I developed hayfever a couple of years ago, I'm 56 and only on oestrogel now.

I've suddenly developed an allergy to a lot of foods. I tried on a new dress last December and came up in hives within a couple of minutes. Happened again a few months later. Then sporadic flare ups of red, itchy face and neck.

Ten days ago I had another flare up, then it continued slightly for the rest of the week. Then one on Saturday, one on Sunday, doctors Monday, A&E yesterday. I can't eat much except porridge without a reaction. I'm on three antihistamines a day and doc doing an urgent referral for me. It's so scary now I'm going to find the cash to pay for a consult. Thank you credit card.

I've read it may be a menopause thing. And my questions to you lovely people is: is this a thing? Has anyone else had it come on with menopause? What happened, did it get better?

Thank you very much
Kate

Taz2

Re: sudden allergies
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 09:59:37 PM »

This sounds very distressing especially as you had a reaction to the dress but also a reaction to certain foods. Can you afford to have a private allergy test. I did this to find out which foods were causing my hives and ezcema. NHS wasn't carrying out testing at the time. Can you only eat porridge? Do all fruits and vegetables give the same reaction?

Taz x

ricekrispie

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 10:11:05 PM »

Thanks, Taz. I’m going to get referred and pay. I think I can do eggs too. But reactions to most other things. Can do decaf tea and Werthers Originals! I love cooking and feeding people and eating with friends and family. That’s one thing but it’s the physical that worries me when it happens. Who did you see?

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 10:46:31 PM »

I just got in touch with my nearest private allergy clinic and made an appointment. It was the skin **** testing. I'd always had sensitivities to different cosmetics, perfumes and antibiotics but it was only in my early fifties that the rashes started.

ricekrispie

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 06:07:38 AM »

And how are you now?

Floo36

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 07:35:00 AM »

I started with allergies, sinus problems, rashes since peri meno.  Just another lovely symptom. I hope you get sorted, I tried nasal sprays and drops , I’m on montelucast, can’t take anti histamines because of dry eyes caused by Estrogen deficiency. 

RA

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 05:28:21 PM »

I’ve been struggling with allergies to onions, I use onions a lot in my cooking. It’s so bad that I’ve been avoiding cooking anything with onions. It starts of with a lot of sneezing, runny nose, blocked sinus, and keeps continuing until I take an antihistamine which makes me so sleepy. I wake up the next day with a rough throat, not able to talk very much and sleepy for antihistamine tablet from before. 😩

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 06:27:33 PM »

Onions have always done that to me but thankfully no itchy rash which other things do cause me. Can you try a non-drowsy antihistamine so you at least feel better in the morning?

Haydo

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »

Hi ricekrispie

Yes, this happened to me.  Like you I started suffering with hay fever and then I started reacting to all sorts of different foods.  I also had a bad reaction to hair dye (all done properly at a hair salon), which I had been using for years and had the skin test for.  Blisters on my scalp and bright red around my hairline, plus losing my hair.   I haven’t dyed my hair since and have to be very careful with shampoo, I only use the purest kind. 

I was referred to an allergy clinic and had all the tests but didn’t react to any of them!   I eventually narrowed it down myself to about 10 different foods which I couldn’t eat by an elimination diet and a case of trial and error.  I still don’t eat them 5 years on, as I still get a reaction, though not as badly.  I just get really itchy but no hives or rashes.