Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elderly care  (Read 2543 times)

Pennyfarthing

Elderly care
« on: October 05, 2021, 03:49:25 PM »

Just had a phone call from my 92 year old Aunt. She had cataract surgery a few days ago and she feels she needs help at home. She also has a bad heart and other health issues and the hospital told her she should be getting help.

She contacted a local care home to see if she could go in for respite and they are charging £1,300 per week.  She says she can’t afford that.  She rang social services 3 times and they never got back to her.  She has a lady go in once a week to clean for her but she needs help now getting dressed, putting eye drops in and making her something for breakfast.  I think she said Age Concern would charge £40 an hour to go in to her.

She says it’s no fun getting old!  She was always very active and busy and for many years was a warden in a small housing complex for elderly people and she loved her job.  Now it’s her turn to be looked after but the help doesn’t seem to be there.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Elderly care
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 04:08:51 PM »

Isn't it dreadful that the Surgeon didn't ask at the initial consult, who was going to care for your Aunt after discharge?   :bang: :bang: :bang:  A Social Worker should have been in to talk with her whilst she was being treated.  There really is no joined up thinking these days  :-\

However: without being rude, can she really not afford a week in respite?  It's not a lot for full B&B, assisted bathing, company.  She won't then have to wait for carers to go in, she may well have eye drops for a while too which as we know, can be difficult to get into the eye without missing.

Do U know her well enough to suggest that she should take the advantage of being spoiled for a week in the care home?  What else is she going to spend the money on if she does indeed have savings.  If she doesn't then that care should be free anyway. 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 04:20:47 PM »

I would have a ring round, I think you should be able to get it for much less than that. It's a minimum wage job so even with a bit of travelling time they're making over £20 an hour profit. I'm not impressed with Age Concern. I enquired about a buzzer for my dad in case he fell, can't remember now how much it was now but it was a rip off.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 05:22:35 PM »

I arranged carers for my elderly neighbour who has dementia. The usual charge is around £30 an hour here (South) and the company does everything from personal care to taking the client out for a walk or lunch and also cleaning, preparing lunch, chatting over a cuppa. They are guided each day by what my neighbour wants. There may be an issue though if she needs someone to put the drops in as not all care companies are allowed to do this. Depending on how much savings she has she may get some social support.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 05:45:46 PM »

Hi Taz how often do the carers visit with your neighbour? 

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 06:27:31 PM »

She has a visit each day. On five days it's one hour and twice a week it's a two hour slot. £270 a week.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 07:14:47 PM »

Does she have company in-between those visits? 

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 07:20:40 PM »

If I'm around, otherwise, no.

Taz x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 07:39:40 PM »

Isn't it dreadful that the Surgeon didn't ask at the initial consult, who was going to care for your Aunt after discharge?   :bang: :bang: :bang:  A Social Worker should have been in to talk with her whilst she was being treated.  There really is no joined up thinking these days  :-\

However: without being rude, can she really not afford a week in respite?  It's not a lot for full B&B, assisted bathing, company.  She won't then have to wait for carers to go in, she may well have eye drops for a while too which as we know, can be difficult to get into the eye without missing.

Do U know her well enough to suggest that she should take the advantage of being spoiled for a week in the care home?  What else is she going to spend the money on if she does indeed have savings.  If she doesn't then that care should be free anyway.

She says she can’t afford £1300 for a week. She did tell social services she has much less than the required amount in savings so was hopeful they would sort something out but they haven’t rung her back.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 07:52:09 PM »

I don't think it's as simple as that. It's a shame the hospital didn't do their part if they were the ones to suggest she needed home care. They really should have put a care package in place before discharge. This is the advice I looked at when trying to help my neighbour https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/paying-for-care/paying-for-homecare/

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 08:26:23 PM »

It is a legal requirement to provide a care package B4 any patient is discharged.  The health service is getting good at not fulfilling their requirements! 1 cannot blame Brexit or Covid .......... no joined up thinking.

I would suggest that your neighbour rings her GP in the 1st instance .  MayB District Nurses could pop in ?  Different authorities offer different services to patients. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 08:03:46 AM »

I don't think it's as simple as that. It's a shame the hospital didn't do their part if they were the ones to suggest she needed home care. They really should have put a care package in place before discharge. This is the advice I looked at when trying to help my neighbour https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/paying-for-care/paying-for-homecare/

Taz x

it’s all so difficult with covid etc and they want you out of hospital asap.  last time she was in she was only in for a day  and discharged in the early hours.  whenever she has a funny turn the paramedics arrive and err on the side of caution and send her off to hospital.  they then keep her in a few hours and send her home.  I am guessing that if you are in for an op they arrange a package of care but for a few hours in hospital they don’t.

It’s  a bit difficult as she rings me a lot but she does have 2 sons although she says they don’t really listen to her.  They bring food over and do her shopping but she says as long as they see her standing up they think she is OK.  I don’t want to step on their toes but I do listen to her and make suggestions.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 08:22:10 AM »

Your neighbour is of an age when an over-night stay would be advisable as well as a comfort.  No surgical intervention is 'easy'.  This is nothing to do with C-19, this is how hospitals are: years ago it was get 'em out due to MRSA. 

U can do what you are able.   :medal: 

I wonder who is next of kin?  Every time Mum goes to Hospital even from the care home, they ring me ............ they don't let me know when she is back though  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2024, 07:49:48 PM »

:bouncing:

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2024, 09:36:23 PM »

I think it would maybe help if you mentioned the member you are bouncing the thread for. This one is three years old now.

Taz  :)
Pages: [1] 2