Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Ignorance in the press  (Read 604 times)

Catbus

• First Flush
Ignorance in the press
« on: October 05, 2021, 06:40:23 PM »

I get the i newspaper, I have it daily only because it is being delivered by an elderly gentleman who has been delivering papers since I was a tiny tot over 55 years ago.  However, it feels like it has an agenda against women suffering from severe menopausal symptoms, me being one of them.  In recent months they published an article about a doctor who brings out books on women's health claiming the menopause is 'empowering' etc etc, then just over a month ago they printed a column by a young female journalist who couldn't wait for the menopause and become 'an old' bat' ( her words) and yesterday they printed a very ignorant letter from a woman who thinks the menopause isn't that bad, it's just like a case of acne as a teenager and that we should all get through it with out medicinal help. 
As I struggle through another day of feeling damned if I do and damned if I don't regarding HRT I just wish women who have breezed through the menopause would just shut up.  Off HRT I suffer up to 20 hot flushes a day, night sweats causing lack of sleep, joint pain and brain fog, on HRT I don't have those symptoms, but, I gained weight, have severe back acne suffer from anxiety and fatigue and am prone to migraines.  I am now on a half patch, which stopped the bleeding and helps with the hot flushes and so on, but, I still get anxiety and back acne and lack of motivation and concentration.
I would give my eye teeth to go through the menopause without the need for HRT and the last thing I need is to open the newspaper edited by some bloke who thinks he is being woke by printed articles on the menopause, but, only ones that show his ignorance on the matter.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ignorance in the press
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 07:19:00 PM »

Stop reading it.   

Each journey is different but the same. 

There are several ways of delivery HRT.  Some require anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication as well as HRT.  What's your main worry regarding an HRT regime?

Tell us more about yourself ?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 07:29:56 PM »

"Old bat" article here https://inews.co.uk/opinion/davina-mccall-mariella-frostrup-menopause-old-bat-in-peace-1177906   She does say this though so I don't think she thinks that we shouldn't have help? "When the time comes I will totally be first in line for any cocktail of hormones I can get my hands on. I will wear so many oestrogen patches I will look like a solar panel. I will spread my toast with testosterone gel. I will take the tablets and the powders, shower in magnesium and thank my lucky stars."

I'm sorry you're feeling so rotten Catbus.

Taz x

Gilla999

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 07:34:11 PM »

I can massively empathise with the frustration. The only thing I have experienced which is worse than male doctors telling you it's all in your mind are females (doctors, mother, peers) who didn't have problems themselves and therefore assume everyone's experience is the same and we are just the moaning bunch!

The battle to be taken seriously is half of the problem.

Floo36

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 07:17:23 AM »

It is shocking, some of the people around me don’t seem interested in how ill I have been because it’s only menopause.  I have been seriously ill both mentally and physically as written also by my menopause doctor to my GP and if I don’t get enough Estrogen into me then my life will be over. 

Thank good for the lovely ladies on here that support each other and share their experiences.