Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: High blood pressure  (Read 2385 times)

JoannFran

High blood pressure
« on: September 30, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »

Good evening

I wondered if anyone on here has high blood pressure?  I ended up in A and E last night as I had really bad pressure in my head and my blood pressure was scarily high 180/90.  I was assessed by the stroke team and there was no other signs of stroke.  I was eventually allowed home when my blood pressure dropped to 150/90 and advised to see my dr, which I'm hoping to do tomorrow (8am phone call for appointment).

I've got a home monitor and have checked it a few times today.  The lowest was 130/90 when I first woke up but throughout the day its been around 140/90.  I still have the head pressure.  I wonder how long it's been high and if it's done me any damage.  I've been extremely anxious for the past month or so.  Heart rate is high too.   :(

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else has high blood pressure and what medication treats this?  I'm not overweight and exercise 5 times a week.  my dad has high blood pressure tho so maybe hereditry.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.  I have so many things wrong with me at the moment, I'm falling to bits  :'(

Thanks ladies xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: High blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 07:25:07 PM »

You've been investigated.  Well done A&E!  DH took his BP every morning B4 eating - jotted down the measurements for his GP which he handed over every 3 months.  Initially U may find that the BP levels vary due to anxiety but every morning, same time, get into the habit.  Best of 3.

How do U know that your heart rate is 'high'?  Your head pressure could be dehydration!

JoannFran

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 07:58:07 PM »

Thank you for replying CLKD.

A & E were marvellous. How lucky we are to have that!

I took my blood pressure this morning and it was the lowest 130/90. The other few times I took it throughout the day it’s been higher. I know that my anxiety is making it worse and I’m trying so hard to relax.  I know heart rate is high as I have an Apple Watch. Usually it’s resting rate is 70 ish but lately it’s been as high as 100. I know im obsessing and making it worse but I can’t seem to get out of this viscous cycle. Im praying my Dr’s can fit me in tomorrow.

Is your DH on medication or does he have it under control?

Thanks again xxx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 08:58:58 AM »

Get RID of the watch!  Every1 of us is individual and an APP cannot diagnose.  How do U know that it isn't programmed to be raised at certain times of day?  Call me a cynic if you like  :-\

We have never required medication for blood pressure problems.  He has white coat syndrome. 

JoannFran

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 03:01:57 PM »

Thanks CLKD

Saw dr today and he has prescribed a low dose beta blockers to help with the blood pressure and anxiety.  He said he's not at all worried about the BP but will give me the beta blockers to hopefully make me feel less anxious and as a result lower the BP.

He told me to stop checking my heart rate and only check BP twice a week, so I think you could be right about the watch!!  ;)

Dr told me that he also has white coat syndrome!  How funny, a Dr having it!!!  ;D

Thanks again.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 04:54:54 PM »

;D

They are human after all  ;D.  I had a beta-blocka from 2002 : Propranolol : started at 80mg 3 times a day for 4 weeks followed by 40mg at night, dropped to 20mg for several years. Worked for me and your GP isn't concerned.  Gentle exercise will help too (note to self  ::)) though I do a l to of walking when gardening back and to the compost heap with loads!

Do U feel reassured?