Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie - crippling perimenopausal symptoms  (Read 1330 times)

Lulu67

• First Flush
Newbie - crippling perimenopausal symptoms
« on: September 26, 2021, 02:14:41 PM »

Hello ladies. 

I thought I would introduce myself.  I'm 53 - nearly 54 and looking back on the last few years I have been in the 'grips' of being perimenopausal for a number of years but particularly so since the end of 2018 (anxiety and changes in my periods).  In the latter half of 2019 - I had a continual bleed for six months - the bleeding was extremely heavy and left me feeling so drained.  I had lots of tests but nothing seemed to be diagnosed and so put it down to the menopause. 

Throughout most of 2020 and 2021 I have had irregular length periods and cycles but the bleeds were thankfully much lighter.  I haven't now had a bleed for 3 months so am thinking I could have possibly finally hit the menopause!!  However, my goodness I am having the most crippling hot flushes, heart palpitations, night sweats etc along with feeling just generally grim - nausea and dizziness too - not to mention dreadful anxiety. 

I have been advised not to have HRT having lost my sister to breast cancer 7 years ago.  I also suffered from a hormonal skin condition in my 20's and 30's (pyoderma faciale) and so am loathed to mess around with my hormones more than the menopause is - as I have been pyoderma faciale free for about 10 years now.  My GP did try me on anti depressants which are supposed to help with the hot flashes etc but I just felt even more unwell on them so had to stop.

I also have quite disabling joint pains too - a throw back from very potent medication I was put on when I had pyoderma faciale - so have had severe joint pains since my early 20's but are now made worse by menopausal joint pains.  Feel such a wreck.... and I'm only 53!

Any advice for any natural products I could try to relieve any of these symptoms would be so appreciated.  If nothing else, it at least makes me feel less alone seeing other ladies experiences of the menopause..

Michelle7474

Re: Newbie - crippling perimenopausal symptoms
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 02:51:42 PM »

Hi lulu
Sorry that your suffering so much , you will find that most of your symptoms we are all unfortunately suffering too :(
Life as a women eh !!
I’ve heard black cososh is meant to be good for the flushes
I couldn’t have because of my blood ( on warfrain ) but my sister in law sweared by it .. Holland and Barrett she got from and also was in 1p sale
Im not sure if they will help you
Also I’ve heard someone mention red clover and primrose oil
Have a look in different alternatives I’m sure you may find something in there or google natural remedies but also if on any medication as your GP just so you know it don’t interfere
For aniexty have you tried rescue remedy.. it’s not the best thing ever but does calm you down a tad and that you can get from any chemist

Hope you find something that helps you.

Let us know how you get on Xx

Lulu67

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 03:21:53 PM »

Hi Michelle

Thank you so much for your response...... as you say life as a woman heh!

Thank you too for your suggestions for natural remedies - I think I will take a trip to Holland and Barrett and see what they suggest.

Lulu xx

Michelle7474

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 04:17:12 PM »

Good luck lulu
They will have plenty for you to try and I hope it helps you.
This peri/menopause malarkey is too much lol

Let us know how you get on Xx

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 08:16:47 AM »

Hi lulu,just a quick question but who advised you against HRT? I'm not on it myself as,like you,there is history of BC but things have moved on and if you listen to Dr Newson,who is an expert on all things meno,you will realise this simply isn't the case,sadly some GPs know very little about menopause and think that ADs are the answer,when this is not the case. I'm now through the worst(hopefully) but wish I knew back then what I know now x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »

This is over-all advice; however: what type of breast disease did your sister suffer with?  Mine was oestrogen dominant so I was advised not to have HRT but Quality of Life is so important.  So far I haven't required anything more than treatment for vaginal atrophy (do read those threads, 4warned is 4armed ;-) ).

Some alternatives/natural remedies should't be used long term and some can interfere with oestrogen. 

Do U keep a mood/food/syptom diary?  What you describe is peri-menopausal.   Do U have regular consults regarding the pyoderma faciale or treatments?

There is a message box to Dr Currie who began MM, for a short e-mail 4 advice, there is also a fee.  Might be worth thinking about asking the question?  Let us know how you get on.

:welcomemm:  browse round.   Join in.