Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: When to take progesterone?  (Read 667 times)

Nix

When to take progesterone?
« on: September 23, 2021, 03:29:43 PM »

So I started HRT recently and have been having some issues. I’ve had a huge flare up of arthritic type pain. Doc doesn’t think it’s related but I’m not quite sure… It has me wondering if I’m generally low on Oestrogen. Yes, I had some sweats, but my periods were longer than usual, always on time but longer than usual.  I’ve been low on energy for a long while so my doc suggested HRT and it was assumed it was all menopause related.  I’ve only been on HRT a week. I’ve not yet started the progesterone. When it was prescribed, I told my doc I didn’t know when my next period was due and she said not to worry but to start with the patch straight away. She forget to tell me when to start the course of progesterone so I contacted my surgery and was told to wait two weeks. Although I wasn’t sure exactly when my period is due, I do know it should have started by now. My boobs are so sore which is something I don’t usually get. I’m wondering if I should start the progesterone or wait out another week? Does progesterone stop bleeding? So confused. I fell like I was expected to know all of this and I don’t. :-(

sheila99

Re: When to take progesterone?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 03:47:48 PM »

Do you get sore boobs with oestrogen or progesterone? I get it with progesterone so for me it's a sign a bleed is on it's way so  I would stick to the oestrogen only patch for now. Then count day 1 as the first day of your bleed and take prog 2 weeks after that. If you get sore boobs with high oestrogen and you don't know when you will bleed I would start prog now.

Nix

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 04:26:47 PM »

Hi there, thanks for replying. It’s the latter case. I’ve never taken progesterone so it has to be the oestrogen that is making them sore. So I should start the progesterone now? Sorry to be a pain.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:52:28 PM »

I would start prog now as you're passed the time when your bleed is due. It's the withdrawal from progesterone that triggers the bleed so it should  start 2-3 days after you finish the prog patches.

Nix

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 06:23:00 PM »

OK great, I’ll start tonight. Thank you.