Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Testosterone and Alcohol Intolerance  (Read 802 times)

merlingo68

Testosterone and Alcohol Intolerance
« on: September 25, 2021, 08:50:04 PM »

So I have always had a sensitivity to alcohol esp when peri. Been on oestrogen and cyclogest continuous for about 4 years and I since then I have been able to drink. I never have more than 2 units and only about once a week, occasionally twice. No after effects at all.

I started with testosterone gel about 2 months ago - has been great, I have a libido again. However about 2 weeks after starting it I started getting hangovers after every drink. Last night I had about half a measure as a treat on the sofa and had a hangover from hell all day.

Could this possibly be down to testosterone? I can't find any links at all. All I can think is it's something to do with my liver being overloaded, but I thought the point of dermal hormones was to bypass the liver. The timing is very clearly linked but the science isn't!

I don't want to stop the testosterone but also I don't want to have the whole social faff of explaining why I don't drink. I don't actually care that much about drinking, happy to give it up it's every one else's attitude that makes it awkward.And also if the testosterone is overloading my liver to the extent that I can't tolerate a half unit of alcohol then it's probably a bad thing.

Anyone else had similar?

Flan747

Re: Testosterone and Alcohol Intolerance
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 08:22:16 AM »

Sorry I can’t help with your question but great to hear you have had results from testosterone! I started about 3 weeks ago for fatigue, anxiety and brain fog so hoping it helps! Hopefully someone will come along to help you with your question !

merlingo68

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 09:00:30 AM »

Yes it’s working but I think I’m going to have to stop taking it. I found one throwaway comment from someone on here mentioning this and I did a lot of searching.

I’m going to cut it down slowly and attempt to monitor how I feel. Not sure it’s added enough to my life to cut out booze tbh.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 09:17:50 AM »

I haven't noticed any difference. I can't tolerate alcohol the way I could when I was young but this change was pre hrt. I believe in rare case the liver can be affected so perhaps this is what's happened to you. I tend to agree, unless you really can't manage without it it isn't worth damaging your liver.