Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New to HRT - couple of questions  (Read 802 times)

Popmummy

New to HRT - couple of questions
« on: September 19, 2021, 11:33:04 AM »

Hello

I have been taking HRT now for a couple of months. I am on estrogel x 2 pumps and uterogeston 200mg on days 15 - 26.

It’s been going well, however I accidentally carried on with the utrogeston for an extra two days before realising I was on day 28. So I’ve had two extra days of it! Shouldn’t be an issue right?

Last month I started a period on day 22 of the utrogeston, which lasted 7 days. Not a problem, but this month I have not had a period yet at all. Is this normal? Am I supposed to bleed after taking the utrogeston or during? My understanding is that the utrogeston will ensure I bleed, but I’m confused as to when this should occur.

Is it normal to feel pmt symptoms before this ‘period’ like I used to on my normal cycle?

Finally, why is it thought that the progesterone component is the part that can raise bc risk, when I have always thought that bc is linked to oestrogen?

Sorry for all the questions - I hope they make sense!

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New to HRT - couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 02:27:11 PM »

Perfect sense.

I think that you can forget the breast disease link.   Smoking, lack of exercise and being obese raises risks far quicker and more likely than HRT will do.

I suspect that PMT will continue until the HRT kicks in, as your own hormones will be jogging along too?  MayB put the product names into the search box on the Forum?  Make notes ;-). An extra couple of days occasionally is unlikely to do any harm.

Browse round. 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 05:07:10 PM »

HRT is designed to work with your own cycle (assume you're peri?) not to annihilate it in the way the BCP does so you can still expect the same cyclical changes you had before. I find on the cycles when my body doesn't contribute it's a washed out version of it. You should bleed 2-3 days after stopping utro but if your own cycle has got out of step with the hrt one you may still be producing you're own prog so won't bleed until it stops. It's difficult if your cycles are variable length but if I bleed at the 'wrong' time I stop utro and count again from day 1 so the hrt cycle stays in step with my own.

Popmummy

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 06:12:33 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

I hadn’t actually had a period since February 1st so no idea where I would be in a cycle. I’m assuming I’m on the HRT cycle without my own seeing as it stopped in Feb - I’m so confused 🤔
X

Floo36

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 07:41:02 AM »

Your hormones can still be very up and down for a while even when you haven’t bled for a while.