Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Adrenalin Surge? or heart?  (Read 955 times)

KaraShannon

Adrenalin Surge? or heart?
« on: September 17, 2021, 10:46:56 PM »

Hi everyone

First of all I've had sufficient heart checks by a cardiologist in the past and told not to worry re anything serious as heart structurally normal.

The last few days I've had some weird symptoms and not sure if people recognise these as menopause or not, would value your thoughts. 

Firstly I put my first oestrogen patch of the month on 12 hours too early..........a few hours into it I was driving around with my mother and I had a really weird head, migrainey, etc.  Then I was having lots of headaches, the type you get when you stand up too quick and head pounds, only it happened a few times when I was sat down and just changed position.  All through this I was having my period as well.

It's gradually got better over the last few days, still happening but getting better.  I've been getting a fluttering in the chest also and what I describe as a feeling like a 'blowtorch' firing up in my chest and a feeling of adrenalin surges. 

I'm slightly worried as I increased my thyroid meds, only a tiny amount, but I'm on a high dose already and it's a risk factor for Atrial Fibrillation (heart arrythmia for those who don't know, not life threatening but not good).  I was woken this morning with adrenalin surges, I got them under control with deep breathing and went back to sleep.

None of these symptoms are new to me, I've had them in the past, they are not normal at all, but the doctors told me all tests were normal.  I trust that, but the symptoms are still not normal and quite distressing, though fleeting each time.  The symptoms stopped completely when I started HRT 2 years ago.................so I'm just wondering whether I need more oestrogen now.  I've got supplemental patches (Evorel 25) and told I can raise them to Evorel 50...........

I'll talk to the doctor, but just wondering what others think from this description.  I'm now on the second oestrogen patch and starting to feel better than I did, which is making me wonder if my oestrogen levels have just dropped lower.  Thanks for any thoughts on this  :)

Chrissyjo

Re: Adrenalin Surge? or heart?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 11:16:33 AM »

Hello I was suffering from horrible adrenaline surges for a long time. I would get one before a hot flush and sometimes just get one randomly. I also used to get these weird uncomfortable feelings, not sure how to describe I just felt wrong and wanted to run away. They only lasted a few minutes then stopped.
I recently started hrt patches and all of it has stopped. I do get bad anxiety so when I’m panicked I get the feelings returned.
I’m not sure why you get them when your on the hrt though
I also get the heart flutters, Ive had them since I was a kid

Gnatty

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »

It sounds like you aren't on enough oestrogen. It's quite common to need to raise the dose as you get further into menopause and your own levels drop further.

warwick01

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »

Hi Gnatty

How much Estragon are you on ???

Wx

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 08:42:09 PM »

5 pumps. However I have had my ovaries out so have no oestrogen of my own. Also take testosterone and mirtazapine.

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 10:30:41 PM »

Hello I was suffering from horrible adrenaline surges for a long time. I would get one before a hot flush and sometimes just get one randomly. I also used to get these weird uncomfortable feelings, not sure how to describe I just felt wrong and wanted to run away. They only lasted a few minutes then stopped.
I recently started hrt patches and all of it has stopped. I do get bad anxiety so when I’m panicked I get the feelings returned.
I’m not sure why you get them when your on the hrt though
I also get the heart flutters, Ive had them since I was a kid

Thanks, it was weird to wake to them one morning, but no hot flushes, never had those as such.  I've just felt 'minty cool' all over when using the oestrogen patches (but didn't feel hot before) as if I'd used a minty shower gel or something.  Tonight though I felt I was glowing and I've never had that, so perhaps it is oestrogen dropping further. 

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 10:35:51 PM »

It sounds like you aren't on enough oestrogen. It's quite common to need to raise the dose as you get further into menopause and your own levels drop further.

Thanks Gnatty, yes all these odd sensations I've had before but about 2 years ago.  It's like my whole body is affected and if I move or change position I get a fluttering in the heart and a migrainey feeling in the head.  i had numerous tests done and doctors telling me not to worry, all male doctors, I only mention that because although they were very kind and took me seriously, they didn't ever mention it could be menopause related, yet I started HRT (having come here and chatted to everyone and deciding it was hormones) and all those weird symptoms have been gone for 2 years.

So it must be low oestrogen, or the slight increase in my thyroid meds.  i've dropped that back to the usual level (the doctor knows), will see if these feelings go away, if not I will ask if I can trial a 50 Evorel supplemental patch.