Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Could this be Cancer instead of Breakthrough Bleeding. Worried.  (Read 1046 times)

Luna

• First Flush
Could this be Cancer instead of Breakthrough Bleeding. Worried.
« on: September 18, 2021, 01:06:00 PM »

Hi all
I have been taking FemSeven for a very short time, and in that time I have been having some breakthrough bleeding.
I told the clueless GP over a phone call, that this was happening, plus the patches kept falling off, and I asked for an alternative.
She wants me to go to see her next week, and have an internal examination. When I asked why she told me that bleeding was not a good sign and I may need to be checked at Hospital!!! 
I told her  I had read and heard that breakthrough bleeding is very common in first few weeks of taking some Hrt Patches and that I did not want an examination. She said that as I am 56 it needs investigation. I have not taken HRT prior to these patches. I have taken the patch off yesterday, and no bleeding since. Prior to taking the patches I have not ever bled since my last period years ago. I have no history of Cancer either.
I had a smear test a couple of months ago which was fortunately clear.
I have Anxiety regardless of this, and now I am so worried, that I cannot sleep, and not eating, getting upset, because of this examination. I keep worrying about having Cancer.
Has anyone else had this reaction from a GP? Is this a common thing to request?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 01:09:57 PM by Luna »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Could this be Cancer instead of Breakthrough Bleeding. Worried.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »

It could be but is unlikely.  Is there a leaflet in the box?  Many experience break-through bleeding due to HRT interacting with their hormone levels.  Even without a period the ovary will still be active ;-)

I had break through when I used 'beconase' nasal spray, I was taking The Pill at the time. 

Periods wax and wane during The Change.  Mine were 'normal' then disappeared for months B4 returning for weeks  ::).  Can't remember how many years but eventually I realised that they had gone.  I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years though  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 03:16:50 PM »

Hi Luna. Your GP is being cautious and although it has caused you anxiety it is a good thing to be checked out. Breakthrough bleeding is a common side effect of a continuous HRT for the first six months and is mentioned in the leaflet. Some doctors are happy to wait for the six months to be completed before investigating but others do act more quickly.

Try not to worry as what you are experiencing is perfectly normal with conti HRT.  You may find that you do experience a bit more bleeding if you have stopped the patch completely. Withdrawal of progesterone can trigger bleeding.

We're always here to listen 🙂

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 04:04:30 PM »

I agree with the others, it's unlikely to be cancer. No bad thing that your gp is a little over cautious though, rather that than the other way round. I think most would have waited to see if it settled so perhaps it's just her lack of experience.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 05:33:14 PM »

I had lots of bleeding with this, its normal for at least the first 6 months. Your doctor will do tests to be cautious which isnt a bad thing, peace of mind.

Luna

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 09:34:01 PM »

Thank you all. You have helped me such a lot.  :)   I have been worrying so much. I have only been on the patches for a few weeks. I suppose when I look at it in a different way, as you have said, it is better for the Doctor to be cautious than not bothered.
I will go for the appointment. Not looking forward to the examination as I am so sore down there.  :(
Thank you all however for your help  :)

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 06:32:01 AM »

Thank you all. You have helped me such a lot.  :)   I have been worrying so much. I have only been on the patches for a few weeks. I suppose when I look at it in a different way, as you have said, it is better for the Doctor to be cautious than not bothered.
I will go for the appointment. Not looking forward to the examination as I am so sore down there.  :(
Thank you all however for your help  :)
If you are sore, perhaps ask your GP for some local oestrogen now, so that you are more comfortable during the examination.
JP x