Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Osteoporosis panic  (Read 1748 times)

koolkat

Osteoporosis panic
« on: September 16, 2021, 06:56:15 AM »

Hello,
I am not a new member but haven't been on the site for years. I am 55 and had last period about 5 years ago. I have been on HRT for the past 3-4 years. With HRT I don't really have much menopausal symptoms, but my dexa scan just showed advanced osteoporosis (lumbar-2.7, hip -2.1). I have always had osteopenia, well before menopause, due to medication for another condition, but this really scared me. In the summer I broke a rib just by turning while laying on a beach. My GP is doing a blood test for vit D as a first option and then we are going to talk about treatment. I know there is a lot to read about treatments on this site but I am having a serious panic moment and don't know where to start. What I know so far is that most treatments have serious side effects, and I heard some bad stories about Biphosphonate. Are there any success stories in the treatment of osteoporosis in post menopausal women? What have you done that worked?
Sorry for the rant
Cris

Taz2

Re: Osteoporosis panic
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 07:35:00 AM »

Hi Cris. I remember you. I'm sorry not to have any advice but just wanted to send a hug. Have you had a look at the Royal Osteoporosis Society's website too for more information?  :hug:

koolkat

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 07:38:13 AM »

Hi Taz.
I have just started looking now. My head is spinning :)
Slowly.

Thanks

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 12:21:22 PM »

Hello,
I am not a new member but haven't been on the site for years. I am 55 and had last period about 5 years ago. I have been on HRT for the past 3-4 years. With HRT I don't really have much menopausal symptoms, but my dexa scan just showed advanced osteoporosis (lumbar-2.7, hip -2.1). I have always had osteopenia, well before menopause, due to medication for another condition, but this really scared me. In the summer I broke a rib just by turning while laying on a beach. My GP is doing a blood test for vit D as a first option and then we are going to talk about treatment. I know there is a lot to read about treatments on this site but I am having a serious panic moment and don't know where to start. What I know so far is that most treatments have serious side effects, and I heard some bad stories about Biphosphonate. Are there any success stories in the treatment of osteoporosis in post menopausal women? What have you done that worked?
Sorry for the rant
Cris

It is scary being told you've got osteoporosis. I might have got this wrong but I seem to remember that the T scores for osteoporosis is  -2.6 so the 2.7 whilst it is osteoporosis is only just so  The -2.1 apparently is osteopenia.

Biphosphonate - didn't work for me at all. I got really bad burning in my gullet with Alendronic acid and the Zolendronic acid transfusion triggered a bad spate of MS causing me to fall a lot. I have been on Denosumab injections for the last 5 years and they have been easier to cope with.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 08:08:53 PM »

Your GP should have been monitoring you on a regular basis.  Pelvis/hips is the best place for a scan.  Taz gave good advice: read and take notes.  Contact them for further advice.

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 03:35:37 PM »

Bit of an update about Denosumab. I've had the results from a DEXA scan after completing 5 years on Denosumab. Things seem to have improved.  Hip has gone from T -2.7 to T -2.0. Spine has gone from T -0.4 to T -0.2.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 04:16:29 PM »

:thankyou:

koolkat

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 07:47:12 PM »

Bit of an update about Denosumab. I've had the results from a DEXA scan after completing 5 years on Denosumab. Things seem to have improved.  Hip has gone from T -2.7 to T -2.0. Spine has gone from T -0.4 to T -0.2.

That is brilliant. Do you have any side effects with Denosumab?

koolkat

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 07:50:05 PM »

Your GP should have been monitoring you on a regular basis.  Pelvis/hips is the best place for a scan.  Taz gave good advice: read and take notes.  Contact them for further advice.
My previous brilliant Gp was monitoring for years and it was always osteopenia...
She retired a couple of years ago and now things have worsened but I do not have the same relationship with the new gp, who I have never even met, becaus of covid. All the conversations about this are a 5 minute phone call. I feel i have to do my homework before deciding on a treatment

marge

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 07:50:39 PM »

I’ve been on Alendronic Acid for 4 years for osteoporosis. No problems with it and at my last scan my hips had improved and spine remained the same. Next scan in January 2022.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 08:37:10 AM »

Let us know how you get on.  Brisk walking every day may help.  ? skipping anyone ? ;-).  I'll hold the rope ............

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 09:35:49 AM »

That is brilliant. Do you have any side effects with Denosumab?

Not really, I felt a bit off for a couple of weeks after the jab but it is loads easier than having to take the Alendronic acid tablet once a week. Now once a week doesn't sound bad BUT it has to be taken on an empty stomach, also must stay upright no bending over or lying down and can't have breakfast for something like an hour.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:25:47 PM by Strongkat »

Bungo

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 04:41:57 PM »

Am perimenopausal. Have bad osteopenia in back, one vertebrae -2.7 since I was 40. Started doing progressive strength training twice a week with a trainer and over 4 years gained 16 % in spine overall. The worse bone now is -1.7.  Highly recommend . Read about the liftmor study in Australia. You could contact them via email and arrange a
phone/zoom consultation  and ask if they consider you're suitable to do it, seeing as you have already fractured.

koolkat

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 07:55:05 PM »

Am perimenopausal. Have bad osteopenia in back, one vertebrae -2.7 since I was 40. Started doing progressive strength training twice a week with a trainer and over 4 years gained 16 % in spine overall. The worse bone now is -1.7.  Highly recommend . Read about the liftmor study in Australia. You could contact them via email and arrange a
phone/zoom consultation  and ask if they consider you're suitable to do it, seeing as you have already fractured.

Thank you, I'll have a look