Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Just started Utrogestan need advice  (Read 818 times)

Sherbet4

Just started Utrogestan need advice
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:59:20 AM »

Hello,

Please can someone advise? I’ve been put on estradiol 1g daily and 200 mg utrogestan for 14 days. My periods are quite erratic and heavy and I have horrible mood swings and crying. I’ve been all over the place frankly.

My last period started on the 30th Aug so I started the gel. In the last couple of days my night sweats have really calmed and I’ve felt happier in myself so that’s really good.

I was due to start the utrogestan on the 13th but got another period that day.

I held off taking it to speak to the dr but could only speak to the nurse the next day. She was very nice and instructed me to start taking the utrogestan regardless of my period (my periods are very heavy and clotty). I took it last night and already my period is a bit lighter (I presume that’s normal?) but I feel sick, drowsy and extremely thirsty. Does this all sound normal and like the right thing to have done or should I try and speak to a dr? I’m wondering if I should be on a 3 monthly cycle as my periods are clearly not regular.

As a side note. I’ve been quite worried about the progesterone as my moods have been really really bad and I know this can be a side affect.

I’d really appreciate your thoughts.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Just started Utrogestan need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 02:54:12 PM »

Hi! messy  >:(  ::).  It really can be Trial and Error.  Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?  Some times it's best to stay on a regime for 3 months 2 see if it helps.  Let us know how you get on?

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 03:28:01 PM »

Hiya, that is brilliant that your night sweats and general mood has improved so much already! 
We all have different experiences with different HRT combos, so I'll repeat something I've seen on here before, just a reminder that many people tend to post here when they're struggling, so you might see more posts by people who have struggled with Utrogestan (incl me) and not so many posts by all the people it's working wonders for.
There are loads of options. They just happen frustratingly slowly!

Sherbet4

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »

That’s all really good to know. Thank you.  I did notice there seemed to be a lot of negative posts. I guess I’ll just have to see how I get on. I’ll keep a diary, great idea. I actually slept loads last night which is amazing in itself!

Is it normal to feel thirsty and drowsy though?

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 12:52:43 PM »

I'm no expert, @Sherbert4, I'm in relatively early stages myself really, but I've noticed a few people saying Utrogestan makes them drowsy and therefore sleep better. Hope your good sleep keeps going!