Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breast issues  (Read 9368 times)

JoannFran

Breast issues
« on: September 14, 2021, 04:06:27 PM »

Hi there

I'm newish around here and have posted on the menopause board a couple of times but not on this one.

Hope it's ok to join you ladies?

I'm 46 and have been having lots and lots of peri symptoms for the past few years which has turned me into a nervous wreck  :(

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I've been having breast pain for a while now.  I had a mammogram and ultrasound 18 months ago and everything was fine.  It seemed to  ease off but over the past few months it's back again but seems to be only in my right breast.  I get a stabbing pain every now and then and theres an achy feeling.  My nipple is also itchy sometimes .There are no visable changes to my breasts  to look at but I'm sure i can feel a lump in the  right one.  It's strange because the lump feels like it's actually my ribs as I can feel it on the left too but it's definitely more prominent on the right. It doesn't feel like a marble or a cyst but it's not moveable, I'm wondering if it's something that's attached itself to my breast bone. I should also say that I am suffering from extreme health anxiety at the moment.  I am literally shaking  and feel sick and my heart rate is all over the place.  I started my period today and it's heavier than usual so I'm trying to tell myself that this is the reason for the pain and lumpiness.

I've got an appointment with my lovely female GP tomorrow to talk about HRT as she'd already prescribed it to me but i seem to be intolerant to the utrogestan.  So I will ask her about it all but I'm truly freaking out right now and feel so alone.  I'm so tired of feeling so awful and scared all the time and I haven't really got any friends to talk to  :'(

So so sorry for the long post.  Please can anyone help?

Thank you so much.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Breast issues
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 04:40:07 PM »

Yep.  We can help.

Make a list of your worries to take to the appt. so that you don't forget anything.  It may be a small fatty lump that you are feeling rather than anything sinister.  Getting a hands on exam by a Doctor is the starting point.  My lump was removed in the 1990s, still here.  My biggest worry was that the regular appts. would cause panic attacks  ::)

As for itchy nipples, one of mine gets like that so on goes either 'savlon', a hand cream, talc which eases as I can't scratch, in fact I can't bear to touch my nipples  :o.  Hormones can cause all kinds of weird feelings.  As oestrogen levels drop off, the body may become dry: inside and out; scalp, deep in the ears, eyes, vagina, skin ........

Periods wax and wane.  Some become heavier, others lighter, intermittent .......... The Change, does what it says on the tin!  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  Let us know how you get on?

Make a note of the HRT - perhaps put the name into the search box on here to see what pops up?  Make notes ;-)

Jo4545

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 05:52:56 PM »

I had a breast lump and therefore cancer scare back in 2015. Mine turned out to be a cyst (one in each breast) which they drained and I've had no problem since but your doctor will be able to check it out and refer you for a mammogram if she feels it needs it (which is how they found my cysts).

So whilst i can't guess what you'll be told I do know exactly how you feel. I was assuming worst case scenario right until the point they told me what it was.

Let us know what the GP says tomorrow . Fingers crossed it goes ok xx

JoannFran

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 07:15:02 PM »

Thank you so much for replying.  Helps to know there are people with similar experiences.  I feel so alone  :(. My husband is amazing but I don't feel i can burden him with all of my ailments/worries.  I literally feel like I am falling apart, both mentally and physically.  I've always been anxious but this is another level now.  Over the past couple of months I've had so many things wrong, Hip and knee aches, mid back cramping on one side, tingling hands and feet, blocked ears, digestive problems, headaches and a couple of episodes of waking up with the left side of my body completely numb (Which I think is due to the hip/back ache)  and the fatigue, low mood/anxiety/lack of enthusiasm for anything :o

I actually can't believe that perimenopause can make you feel this bad.  I've convinced myself that there is something very wrong with me  :'(

So sorry for offloading.  I really appreciate you reading my message.  I bet tonight will be another sleepless one!  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 08:49:09 AM »

All peri - as oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry: inside and out and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

There is a 'hints for husbands' on the Forum, which you can print off and hand over for him to read ;-).  Let us know how you get on.

Lyncola

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »

Hi JoannFran,

Just like to say I get stabbing pain in my breast as well and I’m peri menopause too with lots of problems. It really does get you down.

Now I have at least 4 lumps in my breast (three in one, a one in the other) and they are very dense. I’ve had my first lump early thirties. From age 40 I have a mammogram every second year and ultrasound on my breast every year. So if your doctor is concerned she will send you for a mammogram. But you can safely have a ultrasound anytime. I’ve been told because my breast are so dense the chance of mammogram working for me is very low. A ultrasound does a better job.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

JoannFran

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 01:51:12 PM »

Hi all

Just wanted to let you know I'm back from the Dr and she did a thorough exam of my breasts.  She said she couldn't feel anything that she is worried about but my breasts feel generally lumpy (probably due to the time of the month).  She's referred me to the breast clinic anyway as she said they don't take any chances when it comes to breasts.  She said she thinks that the pain could possibly be coming from the chest wall rather than the actual breast tissue (which does make sense as its a deep pain that almost feels like it's coming from my ribs). So I'm feeling a bit better that she didn't think there's anything wrong (couldn't feel a lump that caused concern) but will be anxious until I've had a scan.

We also discussed HRT and I said that I couldn't take the utrogestan as it makes me feel awful.  She's suggested I only take the utrogestan vaginally once every 3 months to see if that makes a difference.  I'll have to have yearly scans to check on the lining of the womb but I'm more than happy to do that.

So quite a good appointment and I'm feeling much more positive.

Thanks very much for your replies.  I really appreciate it  :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 02:50:11 PM »

:great:  do U feel easier now?

Rosebush

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 09:08:08 PM »

Good news Joann :-* 

I had mammogram and scans last week due to breast pain, calcifications were found in right breast, i was shown scan and could see 2 white dots....Consultant said she wants to do a biopsy to be 100% all is well, due to my age (72) and the fact i am on HRT...so now i wait..

Hope you feel better after seeing your GP..x

Justjules

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 10:06:45 PM »

Hi Joann. If it’s any consolation I was referred for a mammogram after seeing Dr because of breast pain and terrible tenderness in left breast which I’ve had for ages but even though they felt like possible lumpy areas to me, it turned out to be Mastalgia, common breast pain which affects the chest wall too. The mammogram was soooo painful as was the ultrasound. I’m 64 so was concerned but thankfully all ok. Sure you will be too.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 06:32:48 AM »

Morning Girls.  A biopsy under GA is important.  My needle biopsy in the private clinic showed nil of note, however ........... 6 months later (1996) I underwent lumpectomy which showed changes at the margins.  My Consultant told me 'that a healthy breast doesn't have any lumps'.  Mum had calcification for many years and each lump was removed on an 'in case basis', that was in the mid-1970s so obviously diagnostics are much improved from then. 

Let us know how you get on.

JoannFran

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 04:15:02 PM »

Hi ladies

Thanks ever so much for your replies.

I've been to the breast clinic and had a mammogram and ultrasound scan.   All good.  Scan showed scattered cysts which are apparently very common at my age (46).  Mammogram was graded a 1 which is the best outcome.  So that's such a relief.  She said if breasts and nipples are itchy to stick some steroid cream on them.  Or anti inflammatory gel (can't remember the name of it).  She also said pain and itchiness in one breast is also common at this age.

I asked breast dr about the hard lumps and she said that it's normal breast tissue and she can feel my chest wall underneath which is bumpy.

Rosebush, I hope you get your biopsy soon and that all is good.

Thank you again x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 06:09:10 PM »

Tnx 4 the update!   Relieved now?

Rosebush

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »

Joann so pleased all was well must have been such a relief for you :-* Jules i too hate mammograms i had 3 on each breast but nurse was quick in doing them, thank god, but this time the scan for me was more painful, just the sheer pressure which i know she had to apply made me feel sick..

The pain and tenderness i had was in my 'left' breast, but from the scans that was fine, she said just hormonal and use warm water compressions, so i was shocked about calcifications found in 'right' breast, the biopsy is to be done with Local anaesthetic using hollow needle, feeling really anxious, i have had L.A before when having carpul tunnel done, and the needle pain is horrible, they will remove the 2 cal's and send to lab...so another wait..so glad i didn't put off the breast pain as this would not have been picked up..

I know we put things off, more so with this horrible pandemic, but from now on i will always tell myself "Just ring the Dr"..xx

Take care ladies..xx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 11:14:18 AM »

Different type of needle Rosebush ;-).  I can't understand CT being treated with a local anyway  >:(
Pages: [1] 2