Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Digestive enzymes  (Read 2004 times)

Star55

Digestive enzymes
« on: September 12, 2021, 01:34:29 PM »

I've been having digestive issues for years on and off, but these have worsened in the last year. I had a hip replacement last September, I was on omeprazole for about a year, which I stopped last November. I was on it to protect my stomach from other medication. I'm wondering if this is the reason for my problems or if it's menopause, I'm 5 years without a period I've been told it's ibs, I've tried low fodmap without success. I've been on hrt for about 6 months, and it's helping me sleep but unfortunately not having an affect on my stomach!
It's getting to the point where no food seems to agree with me and I've wondered about digestive enzymes. Has anyone had success with these? Any recommendations?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Digestive enzymes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 04:24:11 PM »

It could be that you require an antacid? 

Did U have anti-bioitic therapy prior/after surgery?  MayB overhaul your diet.  Write down everything that you eat for 3 days/nights and also if anything in particular upsets the gut?

Have you tried LIVE yoghurt or probiotic capsules?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 07:28:32 PM »

You may need to be on Omprezole for life.  Unfortunately I am due to GERD and prevent esophageal  cancer.  Sometimes I can go for a few months without but oopsie....heartburn that could fry a hamburger with one blow...

Star55

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »

Avalon, what digestive enzymes do you take? I really feel they would help, but I know if I ask my gp they'll say I should get enough from my food. Its gard when I'm scared to eat stuff that might upset me!
CLKD, I don't know if I had any antibiotics during the surgery, certainly nothing before or after. I've been keeping a food/symptoms diary since January, nothing in particular has bad effects, it sometimes feels like all food doesn't sit well!
I take holland and barrett acidophilus every day, but I don't think it does anything.
I don't really get heartburn, it's more painful trapped wind as well as unreliable digestive system!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 02:32:42 PM »

U would know if you had been given anti-biotic therapy.  10 days used 2B the norm.

Sometimes I can eat items, others they can cause indigestion  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 08:13:09 AM »

Lemon juice in warm water ? 

Star55

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 10:15:51 AM »

Thanks everyone, I have warm water and lemon every morning and have done for years, to the point where I'm wondering if it could be causing the problems!
I've wondered about ACV, but I don't know.
I do think a year or so on Co-codamol, gabapentin, omeprazole and other stuff has broken my insides!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 02:21:41 PM »

1 co-codamol tablet and I'm OK, 2 and I'm on the bathroom floor  :beaurk: for hours!  I stick with 'nurofen' ASAP when pain appears.

LIVE Greek yoghurt has helped my gut over the years.  I gave it to my dog when she had heartburn, she was given chemo tablets.  She loved it ;-)

Haydo

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 03:14:45 PM »

Hi Star55.  Maybe try a different probiotic from the H & B ones.  I took those at one time with little effect.  I now take Optibac probiotics (recommended to me by a nutritionist) and they have really helped me.   Like you I have lemon juice in hot water every morning.  I did try ACV but it made me worse.  Cytoplan do a good digestive enzyme, which might be worth looking at.

Jasmine20

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 03:43:12 PM »

I take chewable digestive enzymes called Pro-Digestion Intensive from Seeking Health - 2 or 3 tablets before meals - and this plus chewing thoroughly has helped with my indigestion.

Gnatty

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 07:53:20 AM »

I found Life Extension Super Digestive Enzymes to be really good. In fact I might start taking them again because have started having a bit of indigestion again. I used to take one before my evening meal.