Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: White coat syndrome.  (Read 1788 times)

Sooze

White coat syndrome.
« on: September 17, 2021, 09:13:55 AM »

I always get a bit anxious going to the GP’s, but my blood pressure has always been around the 110/70 mark.  We moved last year and 3 months ago came the point when I needed to get HRT from my new GP.  Phone consultation went fine but a BP check was needed before she could OK my prescription.  Of course my anxiety levels were off the scale, at the prospect of possibly not getting my prescription and first check at the surgery and my BP was 140/90!

After 5 mins it did settle to 130/70, and OK for the prescription but I was mortified, hence immediate purchase of a home blood pressure monitor.  I have now self diagnosed with ‘white coat syndrome’ as my ‘average BP’ has been 94/68 and highest 113/72, with lowest 89/63.

Having never checked my blood pressure on a regular basis, the relief to find that if anything it’s a bit on the low side was certainly worth the purchase price of the monitor, and as it has an app that tracks my readings I’ll be able to show my GP when they want to do the next check.

I also now wonder if the very occasional strange transient symptoms I’ve had have been due to low BP, so if I get them again I’ll now be able to check.

Just though I’d post my experience in case it’s useful to anyone else.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: White coat syndrome.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 09:23:16 AM »

My husband: a calmer person you won't find anywhere else : has WCS.  So had for over 15 years had a home monitor.  When he was in work he would take his BP B4 breakfast at 7.30 a.m., the best of 3.  Every 4 months he would let his GP know the results.  Job Done!

holidaylover

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 10:21:21 AM »

Hi, I have been told I have White Coat Syndrome too and had to have be blood pressure taken the the doctors last week.  It was high so was sent home with a monitor where I had to note BP twice a day.  The nurse wrote down that I should be under 140/90 or that would be deemed as high.  Needless to say it was higher than that in the surgery, but came down significantly at home.  Last two days at home though it seemed dangerously high, but I think I was becoming too conscious of doing it and also I have developed what I think is a bit of food poisoning from a chinese meal, so that could have attributed to that.  A home monitor for me would only make my anxiety worse I think.

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 10:29:24 AM »

Tricky not to "obsess" in the use of them!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 11:07:51 AM »

Why?  Used once a day, readings jotted down ........... occasionally they will read slightly higher than expected.  Job Done!

Postmeno3

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 11:14:13 AM »

Just expressing a view which might or might not be applicable....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:58:51 AM by Postmeno3 »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 12:37:15 PM »

We can get obsessed about various apps which is why keeping to a specific time for BP readings is important.  When the readings are 'within normal limits' ....... measurings jotted down;  ;)

Postmeno3

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 01:40:15 PM »

Not everyone can do that, though.

holidaylover

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 04:09:09 PM »

I think if you suffer any kind of health anxiety it may be a problem if on times it appears high.  One time I had a machine home from the doctors ( a couple of years ago) and it was very high.  I looked it up on the internet and I was advised to call 999 immediately.  Panicked a bit and called the doctor who promptly told me to calm down, and that worked.  I would rather leave it to the doctor to decide if my bp needs monitoring.  I would over obsess.

Postmeno3

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 07:49:28 PM »

Exactly. I bet you're not alone either!

Jo4545

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 03:44:46 PM »

I had to go to the doctors the other day. The last thing she did was say she's take my blood pressure. She's very young and keen and just as I was saying "if you could let me sit for 10 seconds or so and quietly breath" she didn't listen and started the machine. Obviously BP was very high. Since it was so high her solution was "let's take it again immediately". She was so concerned about my pulse she wanted to send me to hospital there and then!

That is why BP monitors work well as I have lots of evidence from home that my BP and pulse are normal usually.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 03:46:05 PM »

Will she ever learn?   Sending a patient to A&E for what ..........  ::)  especially if sitting quietly would help keep the BP down.  Why don't Doctors listen  >:(  ???