Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Sensitivity to changes in Estrogen - some thoughts!  (Read 807 times)

Gilla999

Sensitivity to changes in Estrogen - some thoughts!
« on: November 04, 2021, 08:06:16 AM »

I've been on Lenzetto since April which has worked a treat at fixing all of my original problems (night sweats, insomnia etc). However my blood tests 2 months ago showed my E was much too high, which matched how I felt - around ovulation I would be very jittery (like I had drunk 10 espressos), coupled with other side effects during the luteal phase such as extreme constipation (and weight gain of 1.5 stone since starting Lenzetto). Intuitively I know that my E is a bit too high and want to reduce from 2 sprays of Lenzetto to 1. After two failed attempts where side effects were so bad I couldn't continue, I opted for a slow taper method using tape over the Lenzetto dispenser. The first drop from 2 to 1.66 sprays in month 1 went fine but the second drop this month to 1.5 sprays has once again floored me. I think this is because of how the Lenzetto dispenses - the initial drop / taping over the dispenser didn't actually reduce much of the product. The symptoms I've had are the same as during the previous attempts: extreme tiredness where all I can do is lie on the sofa all day, snuffly like I'm coming down with a cold, flu like symptoms, very sensitive and weepy, and eventually disrupted sleep.

My journey over the last two years with all of this has lead me to the conclusion that I am EXTREMELY sensitive to even small drops in Estrogen. There doesn't seem to be much information out there on this topic and I wondered if it resonated with anyone else? It's not about the level itself necessarily, but more the act of reducing it that seems to trigger unbearable side effects, even if I'm reducing it to a better level. I've come to realise that all of my original problems started so early for me (I'm only 42 and still having regular periods) because my Estrogen originally soared in my late 30s (proved by tests) and when it started to naturally climb down, it was the act of it falling that triggered a cataclysmic chain of events/symptoms for me, even though the E level was still fine on paper (which is partly why I struggled to get help for so long).

Has anyone else found themselves super sensitive to any small changes in Estrogen, regardless of what the level is/isn't? Interested to hear other's thoughts. My best friend (also 42) recently discovered she is already post meno.... the notion that she would be able to get to that stage of low E without the barrage of problems I have had blows my mind!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:10:14 AM by Gilla999 »

Postmeno3

Re: Sensitivity to changes in Estrogen - some thoughts!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 08:33:58 AM »

Hi. There are many on here who feel blood tests are unreliable, due to wild fluctuations, until post-meno and possibly even then. This might be something to take into account? I can't offer anything much else as I'm only six months into this postmeno process on HRT and aware that what has been tried so far, Evorel25/Estradot37.5/back to Evorel25 has made things much worse than on no HRT at all so far. This may be down to incredible sensitivity, too, but not yet clear at all. Good luck!

Gilla999

Re: Sensitivity to changes in Estrogen - some thoughts!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 12:51:03 PM »

Thanks postmeno, yes definitely agree that blood tests aren't everything. But I have also mysled felt quite clearly that my Estrogen was too high, from quite a lot of symptoms (Jitters at ovulation, chronic constipation especially in luteal period, very swollen painful boobs, weight gain etc). It's just that I can't seem to physically reduce it to a better place as it causes me so many side effects in the process. However I'm quite clear now that it's the act of lowering it, not the level that i'm lowering it to, that's the issue for me.

For me, reducing estrogen is the same (if not worse) than trying to reduce anti depressants. There doesn't seem to be much publication about this, apart from ladies with implants where "estrogen addiction" is quite well documented.

There is a documented link between Estrogen and Serotonin (when your Estrogen lowers so does serotonin) which I think could be responsible for my sensitivity to it. I struggle to reduce my anti depressants too for this very reason!

It goes to show, I think, how differently we all react to different hormonal changes.