Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Three months of trialling.  (Read 853 times)

Postmeno3

Three months of trialling.
« on: September 11, 2021, 11:00:00 AM »

Hi,
I may have asked this before, apologies if so, but I wonder if anyone knows why, medically, postmenopausal women have to trial systemic HRT for three whole months? It would be so great to know if there's a medical reason for it? It's not as if there are cycles to monitor?
Thanks!
💚

Perinowpost

Re: Three months of trialling.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 11:09:40 AM »

Hi Postmeno3

I think it’s literally just to give your body time to get used to it. I don’t hold with the theory personally, and that’s after trialling new regimes which were no better after 3 months than the first week. I have to qualify that statement though by saying that each time it’s the progesterone that has been the issue, and the fact that I’ve struggled to find one my body tolerates . Hope that helps x

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 03:25:55 PM »

Thanks, Perinowpost. I don't have the worry of progesterone, thankfully, but can see how that could create extra challenges. I suppose I'm just really curious about the magic number and what it is about 3 rather than 2 or (heaven forbid!) 4 months! Are there any postmenopausal ladies out there who have changed their regime sooner and benefitted and/or noticed some magical result at or from three months? I do realise that, even postmenopausally, we're all unique!

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 03:48:01 PM »

My anxiety and insomnia took 3 months to go. Some symptoms seem to need a build up of oestrogen.

Beaker

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 06:52:40 AM »

Hi Postmeno3. The 3 months thing is because the cells in your body have a life cycle of 3-4 months, max 120 days.  Therefore any medication you take that has an impact on the cells in your body (as HRT does) needs to be taken for that length of time so that you have a good idea (ie by month 4) how you feel when most of the HRT-free cells have died and most of your new cells are under the influence of HRT.

Postmeno3

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 07:07:13 AM »

Ah, excellent! Thanks so much! 👍