Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen levels  (Read 679 times)

gillybilly

Oestrogen levels
« on: September 10, 2021, 07:57:36 AM »

I have recently started to take hrt after an early menopause at 43 ( im now 51)

I have been taking it for 7 months and 6 weeks ago switched from evorel conti to 2g   (2 pumps) daily oestrogen and daily utrogestan which I understand to be a normal dose

The reason I'm taking hrt is for bone health mainly

I know that a certain level of oestrogen should be hit to make it work for bones.

I had a medicare kit which I thought I'd use on a female hormone test
The results came back yesterday as

30,331  pmol/L   

Ref Range:( Follicular      98  -  571 )
Ref Range:( Mid-cycle      177  -  1153)
Ref Range:( Luteal         122  -  1094)
Ref Range:( Post-meno      < 183       )

And the report back

Your oestradiol level is elevated, and I assumed from this that you are taking HRT. If you are not taking HRT, this result should be discussed with your GP.

If you are taking HRT, it may be worth reducing your dose, which again should be discussed with your GP.

Can I presume that with this amount of oestrogen in my blood I wouldn't be able to function and that this test was a farce ( fortunately I never paid for it!)

I literally do 1 pump on each arm per night !!!!!!

gillybilly

Re: Oestrogen levels
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 08:06:19 AM »

Ha
Just seen on another thread that finger **** tests are totally unreliable
Guess that's my answer  ;D

Gilla999

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 08:17:55 AM »

Just to say, I've done two finger **** tests with MediChecks and both have come back with similar results which totally freaked me out! The second one was even after wearing plastic gloves for two weeks and it's Lenzetto, so you don't even touch the product itself. The potential for contamination must just be huge.

I've now resorted to paying the extra £30 with them to visit your local hospital for a venous blood test as it's the only accurate way you can test if you're using HRT  :-\

KarineT

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 09:47:18 AM »

Hi gillybilly,

I don't know where you saw this article about the unreliability of at-home blood testis but in February 2020 I did a such a test called Menocheck.  This looks at the ovarian reserve, which gives you an approximation of when the menopause will occur,  and I can tell you that the test didn't lie. The results came back and accordingy to my oestradiol level, I had reached the menopause.  Hence, my last period was in January 2020 and I haven't had a bleed since February 2020. I've been postmenopausal for almost 19 months now.