Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: 2 pumps of estragel...felt awful...should i increase instead of decrease?  (Read 2459 times)

Molly

so my story is that i am 48 peri menopausal. I have been having irregular periods for 3 years now. 1 year ago lots of hot flushes and night sweats/ anxiety through the roof, emotional, erratic :'( :'( moods, weight, brain fog so i decided to try HRT. I was given the gel ( 2 pumps a day, and on day 15-28 utrogeston.

i have to say i was sooo hopeful and excited to start my hrt BUT the side affects for me were horrendous. I was literally spaced out, going around lie a zombie, afraid to drive the car with the kids in it. literally falling asleep in the daytime, (not me at all). Night time was great, i slept like a baby but the daytime was a nightmare. i spoke to my consultant and she said reduce the dose to 1 pump, but no difference.
I use to get pains in my arms or legs where ever i rubbed the estragel on. On day 10 I decided i just couldnt function anymore so stopped and didnt even attempt the progesterone....

alibeau

HI Molly,

Sorry to hear you are struggling....

I'm no expert but I started the same regime back in Feb.... I felt a real boost to begin with which then dwindled and I felt absolutely wiped out on the Utrogestan phase of the regime.  I looked into changes I could consider but then last month everything just calmed down and settled..

Stange thing is I would have thought it would be the Utrogestan causing your symptoms but did you not get to the stage of taking it?

I hope someone else comes along shortly who may be able to help.

Ali x

Molly

Hi Ali,

thanks for replying :)

Yes you are right, I was taking the 2 pumps of oestragel that caused me to feel completely zoned out like a zombie. I was afraid to even drive tbh. I was falling asleep during the day and just couldn't keep my eyes open. I lowered it to 1 pump and it was still the same. if i put the gel on my arms, i had crampy pains shooting down them. I altered it to my legs, same crampy pains up and down them. Im at al loss as i haven't heard anyone else mention it.

pepperminty

Hi, Sometimes the type of estrogen can effect some differently. Premarin that i took years ago made me feel physically great, but the estrogen in Femosten , makes my muscles ache more. I felt zones out on the stronger femosten and slept heavily.

So give it 3 months ( they say you should know by then ) and if you still feel crap, try another type such as Lenzetto spray or patches perhaps? I hope it resolves quickly for you.

PMX

Molly

thanks for that pepperminty (cool name). I might suggest that to my consultant, trying different format than the gel. x

pepperminty

:foryou:

Let us know if you get an improvement .

appey

I went up to 2 pumps after a week of one pump and decided to split the dose with one pump in the morning and one on the evening. I felt really dreadful and was being physically sick each morning. That panicked me a bit, so I’ve now started on everol 25 patch with utrogestan, which I had a few years ago and going that will be a bit gentler for my body

Molly

hi appey,

did you feel spaced out at all and exhausted on the estrogel? just curious. x

appey

No, not spaced out.
My symptoms were more the other way - too wired and felt I had initial burst of oestrogen that then disappeared, as if it had worn off. Tbh I probably didn’t give it long enough and did panic, but I decided to go for the patch in the hope that the delivery of oestrogen will be more constant.

Molly

appey how is the patch working now for you?

appey

In my panicky inconsistent way (see the thread I started today) I ripped the patch off after 24 hours as had horrid palpitations that night and it just didn’t feel right. I’m back on the gel but just half a pump. I’m all over the place at the moment so I wouldn’t go on anything I say or do!

Molly

Re: 2 pumps of estragel...felt awful...should i increase instead of decrease?
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 02:07:21 PM »

oh no really appey :(.... palpitations not good. how is the gel going now? any palpitations?  |I started the patch yesterday, nothing so far apart from feeling a bit edgy  :-\

CrispyChick

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 04:07:11 PM »

Just seen this thread. I tried femoston last year. First trial of hrt and I too got very spacey and zoned out on the estrogen alone... I too never made it to the prog part.

I'm back trying combined pills instead as I'm only 45. Interestingly I switched 2 weeks ago to an ultralow dose pill, so 10mg less estrogen than I had been on... And today I've gone vague and spacey again. Almost dizzy. Its awful. Makes me want to stop.

I wonder if it is just a reaction to any significant change in estrogen... Up or down 🤷‍♀️.

Molly

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 04:34:21 PM »

oh crispychick i hear you so very hard trying to wade our way through all these different types of oestrgan  :-\.  makes me want to stop too but  know now I really need something. I was driving the other day and had no idea where i was going for about 20 seconds i had not a clue which direction to drive in  :o   any way it was weight watchers  ;D.  i am on th epatch now, as of yesterday a full patch.  feeling ok atm but very edgy and snappy, not much patience there today....im going to try n stick the month out and go on the progesterone, dreading it  totally.

keep us updated as to how you are doing...i think you are absolutely right about it being the change in estrogen, its catch 22 though as I know i need more but its a case of how much more