Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post Menopause Bleed  (Read 1190 times)

Lioness86

Post Menopause Bleed
« on: August 29, 2021, 01:17:31 PM »

Hi Ladies,
Just when you think things have settled down up flares something else.  I am 58 and I have not had a period for 18 months and the day before I was due to go on holiday I started a period.  For the week before my breasts had been really aching and I thought there was something going on and then started bleeding.  It was a text book period for me, period pains for one day and then finished 6 days later.  I went to the GP and she examined me and said everything looked normal but would refer me to hospital to check me out.  Yesterday I saw the consultant at the hospital and had a colposcopy and he took a biopsy too.  He said the cervix looked normal but couldn’t see higher up so I will get an appt for a vaginal ultrasound within a couple of weeks.  I am not sure why the consultant took the biopsy if he thought things looked ok, is this a normal procedure?  I did ask what he thought could have started it and he said that ‘sometimes it just happens’.  I have to wait 4 weeks for the biopsy results, I wondered if any ladies a similar age to myself has experienced this?  Thank you

sheila99

Re: Post Menopause Bleed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 02:06:42 PM »

They err on the side of caution. It's perfectly possible to have a period after 18 months but the guidelines say they have to check out any bleeding after a year in case it's something else. I wouldn't worry, if it felt like a period more than likely that's what it is.

Lioness86

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 02:32:56 PM »

Thank you Sheila, I am a Sheila too!! It is the waiting more than anything else.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 03:44:12 PM »

Whist you are there and the Consultant is 'in', a biopsy is usually taken.  It's information gathering and better 2 B told all is OK.   

Let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 04:34:03 PM by CLKD »

Lioness86

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 04:02:47 PM »

CLKD that is beautifully put!

Lioness86

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 04:04:44 PM »

Update on my postmenopause bleeding. Following my visit to hospital on Saturday I had a call from them yesterday booking me in for the vaginal ultrasound.  I was a bit taken aback when I was given 9am today but went into a complete flap when I was told the consultant wanted to see me afterwards!  I had the ultrasound and then the consultant told me that I had a polyp, I asked if that could have resulted in me having what to me felt like a proper period and she said it would.  I now have to go back in 2 weeks for a hysteroscopy to have it removed.  She mentioned the biopsy taken at my first visit but said we were a step ahead of that so not to worry.  I honestly cannot fault the treatment I have received so far, the NHS at their very best. 
Thank you for your replies, whenever I had a bit of a panic I looked at them and it calmed me down xx

KarineT

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 07:06:48 PM »

Hi Lioness86,

If it was a polyp then it was't a perod.  I've never heard of periods coming back after 12 moths, let alone 18 months.  I've also gone 18 months without a bleed and  I do hope it stays that way.

Lioness86

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 09:14:04 PM »

The consultant I originally saw did say that sometimes a period can just happen, there is no particular reason why. I am unsure now if it was a period or the polyp but am just happy to be having it sorted out.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 07:02:06 AM by Lioness86 »