Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spotting - 6 years post meno  (Read 1947 times)

Lesley66

Spotting - 6 years post meno
« on: August 31, 2021, 01:30:10 PM »

Hi Ladies

I had my last period 6 years ago. Have never used any HRT and have done ok apart from anxiety and flashes.

I have spent lockdown rewarding myself with food and wine. Tanked on 2 stone and wasn't my healthiest. Mid July I decided to take myself in hand and overhaul my diet and exercise regime. I've dropped refined carbs and have been walking 10 miles a day; I've limited wine to weekends. I've dropped a stone, and I feel better.

Last night when wiping I discovered some pale pink bloody discharge. I'm in absolute panic mode. I have a 14 year old daughter and need to pull myself together. Have spoken to GP this morning who has referred me for US scan with standard 2 week timescale, but I'm anticipating the worst and currently in meltdown. I'd really appreciate and good outcome stories, or to connect with anyone in a similar situation for some mutual support. Need to have blood tests as well but I'm a bit ashamed of myself as i got very down during lockdown and drank more than I usually would. Maybe this is my punishment. I'm very tearful here and would appreciate any dialogue. I'm 55 and currently about 10 stone 12 and 5-7.

Lesley x

sheila99

Re: Spotting - 6 years post meno
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 08:47:33 PM »

It's so easy to get into panic mode. I was convinced I had BC, turned out to be a cyst, 2 weeks of unnecessary panic. When I had pre-cancerous cells it was bright red spotting, it wasn't pale. Fibroids and polyps are common and much more likely than anything more serious. It's always good to keep a healthy lifestyle but I'm sure your lockdown blip has nothing to do with this, sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. Hope you can get through the next 2 weeks, waiting is the pits.  :hug:

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 08:56:02 PM »

Hi Lesley. As sheila says it is easy to get into full panic mode over something like this so we do all understand. I was wondering whether you had read about the fact that the covid vaccines have affected periods in quite a few women. Some post meno women have had a full blown period so maybe this is a reason you should consider too. https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n958/rr-2

Congratulations on your weight loss too. Ten miles walking a day is fab - I only manage three - and wine only at weekends is also something I find difficult to do!  :foryou:

Taz x

Lesley66

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 09:42:31 PM »

Thankyou both so much for replying, I really appreciate the dialogue. My middle name is 'catastrophise' and as much as I try to calm myself I'm not doing a very good job. Thankyou also Taz for the article on the covid vaccines - I had my second dose 4 months back and it's something I hadn't considered.

I've played a lot of Dr Google today and something else I hadn't considered was the fact that the extra chunk I was carrying was making me some estrogen; consequently my weight loss may have put my hormones or what's left of them a little bit out of whack which can in fact lead to spotting. I have suffered from atrophy for a few years now which because of a combination of embarrassment and lockdown I've not approached my GP about it. God, I hope it is something that simple that can be easily fixed. Funnily enough I had a smear reminder letter over the weekend too so I booked in for that today. It's 3 months overdue because of covid but hoping it won't have made much difference.

Not had the greatest of days; the blind panic has made me very anxious and I've been swallowing air so I'm in agony with trapped wind, and it's also flared my IBS to add insult to injury. Middle age sucks 😂. I've been appalling and only managed about 1000 steps, but the spotting appears to have subsided for the meanwhile. Could murder a few glasses of white to take my mind off things but it's not going to help 👍🏼

You are both right, the waiting game is horrid, and it's something I'm not very good at. Thankyou both so much again for taking time out of your day to reply to me xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 08:10:21 AM »

Little steps!  Don't beat yourself up!  We don't get where we are overnight so any changes will take a while  ;)

10 miles every day! do U borrow a dog  :scottie:.  I know that as mine got older we both slowed down - I put on a lot more weight than I was used to carrying it took 14 months to get back to 8st.  I borrowed the neighbours' pup and we walked miles but no where near 10 a day!

Do U manage to practice deep breathing?   In panic mode we breath quicker as you have found.  Getting into the bath helps me get rid of trapped wind  :-\ or taking 'Rennies' or 'Milk of Magnesia'. 

Lesley66

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 09:06:19 AM »

Thankyou CLKD for your kind words. I would love a dog but I have 3 cats who unfortunately wouldn't 😂.

I'll ty and be more mindful of breathing today, I know it causes all sorts of issues, the air swallowing being one of them! Have managed to get some sleep last night but my stomach is still in knots. I'm away in my caravan in Wales ATM and unfortunately don't have a bath but I'll try a long hot shower and some Rennies. Anxiety is awful. I just feel completely overwhelmed after having a successful health kick over the summer and trying to adjust my mindset to something more positive after the misery of the pandemic and now being hit with this.

I've read lots of posts on here the past few days and many, many ladies seem to be having great benefit from taking HRT. I thought I was being a bit of a hero managing without all these years. When I have thought back on all the ups and downs of Meno, perhaps I've been a bit foolish!!

Thankyou so much again for your advice xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 09:19:12 AM »

U dealt with your symptoms as and when.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use, I may have said already  :-\

My 3 cats 'put up' with my dog  ;D.  1 cat went to the air ring cupboard and peered out occasionally  :D.  They got used to her. Eventually.  A different type of responsibility though!

Anxiety can be caused if the body lacks energy! I have to eat every 3 hours to stop those dreadful surges  >:(

Oh Wales  8) ! is it raining  ???

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 09:24:57 AM »

[quote author=Lesley66 link=topic=59268.msg833402#msg833402 date=1630487179
I've read lots of posts on here the past few days and many, many ladies seem to be having great benefit from taking HRT. I thought I was being a bit of a hero managing without all these years. When I have thought back on all the ups and downs of Meno, perhaps I've been a bit foolish!!
[/quote]

Lots of us have done the same Lesley. I soldiered on for at least a year longer than I should have thinking that HRT was "giving in". It's only fairly recently that it has been seen as replacing a hormone that we need in order to function properly. Of course, not everyone does, and I do wonder whether we should have some sort of hormone testing while we are still in our reproductive years to see how high they are then and how much they drop after meno as maybe some women have a natural low level and so don't miss it as much when it disappears. I'm not making sense probably as I'm on my phone and rushing my post!

Taz x  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »

U made a lot of sense!  but can U imagine the NHS even considering such testing  :-\.  Now if it were a man  >:(  ::)

H(Replacement)T!

Lesley66

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 12:17:31 PM »

U dealt with your symptoms as and when.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use, I may have said already  :-\

My 3 cats 'put up' with my dog  ;D.  1 cat went to the air ring cupboard and peered out occasionally  :D.  They got used to her. Eventually.  A different type of responsibility though!

Anxiety can be caused if the body lacks energy! I have to eat every 3 hours to stop those dreadful surges  >:(

Oh Wales  8) ! is it raining  ???.

It's trying really hard to rain, but it's just a bit drizzly. It's quite chilly though, but that's great for the hot flushes 😂😂

Couldn't touch a thing yesterday, just managed a bit of lunch ... Hopefully that will settle my stomach. Have my SIL visiting later too which will help xx

Lesley66

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 12:29:20 PM »

[quote author=Lesley66 link=topic=59268.msg833402#msg833402 date=1630487179

Lots of us have done the same Lesley. I soldiered on for at least a year longer than I should have thinking that HRT was "giving in". It's only fairly recently that it has been seen as replacing a hormone that we need in order to function properly. Of course, not everyone does, and I do wonder whether we should have some sort of hormone testing while we are still in our reproductive years to see how high they are then and how much they drop after meno as maybe some women have a natural low level and so don't miss it as much when it disappears. I'm not making sense probably as I'm on my phone and rushing my post!

Taz x  ;D
[/quote]

Yes it makes perfect sense. Its like female race were designed specifically to reproduce ..... When that's no longer viable someone up there decided to make things as difficult as possible. Of there is a God, they are definitely male 😂

Yes, I've absolutely seen any move to using HRT as some sort of failure. Looking back I suppose older female relatives in my family never had access to it and looked at the modern day females who turned to it as 'weak'. I suppose when you are brought up with that sort of mentality it taints your thinking. I don't have many close friends who going through Meno who I'd discuss HRT with so I'm only getting information through reading through posts. My GP surgery consists of 2 elderly foreign gents who I'm certain are ok at their job, but any appointment always seems like a massive rush to get you out of the door as soon as you arrive. We had a lovely last GP up to a few years back but she has since left the practice. My anxiety that I've suffered throughout Meno was treated with SSRI medication - I never suffered with that until I started the change, so you have to question whether that was the correct thing to do!!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 02:42:07 PM »

Why do you feel the need to discuss your medical treatments with anyone, I long ago kept my hospital visits etc. between me, DH and the Consultant.  Of course, living a long way from family has really helped!

Is it failure to accept diabetic or heart treatment? 

Did the ADs help?  It's what eases symptoms, now why ;-).  I had to accept treatment years B4 I went into peri.

Lesley66

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 04:16:48 AM »

The ADs really helped at the time. I rarely visited a doctor until the onset of peri, then began to suffer from reflux, palpitations, bladder issues etc - loads of stuff I never really related to Meno back then. I'm still gobsmacked how a lack of hormones can cause a such a myriad of symptoms!!! The insomnia has been the worst, it's so hard to get a good night's sleep nowadays 😂💤.

Lesley66

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 08:44:32 AM »

Hospital just rang. Scan at 9 tomorrow morning.terrified.

Lesley66

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »

Just back from scan. Thickened lining 7mm. So need to see gynaecology. Didn't get the get out of jail free card I was hoping for. 😢
Pages: [1] 2