Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT and high blood pressure  (Read 2653 times)

shrosphirelass

HRT and high blood pressure
« on: August 24, 2021, 07:53:45 PM »

I have been feeling off for some time, dizzy and an increase in hot flushes with weight loss over an extended time. The dr has sent me for various blood tests which have been more or less normal with a slight concern about red blood cells. Anyway, Im due a review on Friday and in anticipation I have been taking my blood pressure and I can't get it below 150 / 75 at best. I have issues with taking blood pressure and it starts off really high and does drop but this week not to below 150. I haven't done it for ages and tbh last time I did it it was on the high side but not as bad. I am really worried that the dr will say I have to stop HRT. I'm on evorel conti. I don't think I could cope without HRT although Im still not great, it has alleviated my headaches and greatly reduced my stomach issues.  Has anyone any experience of using HRT and taking blood pressure mediaction together. I can't find any NICE guidelines about this, only an article by Louise Newson saying that high blood presure shouldn't preclude HRT.

SueLW

Re: HRT and high blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 08:01:33 PM »

There is no need to worry.  You can have HRT and BP medication.  I was on both.  I don't need the BP medication now because I have to take a beta blocker for a heart arrhythmia and that lowers BP enough for me not to need anything else.

Don't let the GP tell you that you have to come off HRT.  Refuse.  Remember our health care is just that, ours.  We should be consulted and not forced to do what we don't want. 

Do you do 3 consecutive readings at a time and take the average? That's what the GPs do and you should too.  Or just write them down in groups of 3 and present them to him.  Take it when you get up in the morning and in the evening for the remainder of the week until you see him.  You will be higher in the surgery if you are worried so they like to see home recordings.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 11:25:52 PM »

Just a thought...when was your monitor last calibrated? They need doing every two years I think.

Taz x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 02:37:23 PM »

Thanks, I just wish I could fine some evidence. I didn't know that Tazz but my husband does his now and again as he's on medication for it and mine is way higher than his, so I'm taking that as too high even if it isn't very accurate.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 06:00:54 PM »

I think there is a good medical reason for not taking hrt while you have high blood pressure. As long as high BP is controlled hrt is OK. The gp may insist you come off it while they stabilise your BP but it won't be forever. Let us know how you get on.

shrosphirelass

Re: HRT and high blood pressure - Update
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 02:57:43 PM »

I spoke to the doctor and he suggested we try a very low dose beta blocker to start off with and gradually build up if it suits me and reduces my blood pressure. He said this would be good for anxiety and potential migraines (though they are pretty well controlled with HRT). He said it wasn't a problem being on HRT as well. Good job I didn't have to do my blood pressure then as I was so anxious, worrying about what he would say it would have been sky high!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 03:25:27 PM »

In 2002 I was prescribed 'Propranolol' 80mg 3 times a day for 3 weeks, then dropped to 40mg daily.  Really helped my anxiety - down to 20mg at night for several years, worked to help overall ;-)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 11:49:03 AM »

Well Im going to give them a go and see how I get on. Sounds great if they make me less wired. I'm guessing they may also make me put on weight if they slow me down. So pleased I didn't have to argue about continuing with HRT