Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: UTI symptoms  (Read 1352 times)

Marshabookworm

UTI symptoms
« on: August 27, 2021, 04:18:28 PM »

Hi, I'm experiencing what I can only describe as UTI symptoms. I have an ache/pain very low down, mainly on the left side, around the clitoral area (TMI  ???) I've had a urine sample done, which showed no infection. I've read that dryness can cause the urethra to become inflamed, thus UTI symptoms, but my doctor says dryness wouldn't cause those kind of symptoms as its only vaginal dryness.

I've just started on Cerzaette for heavy periods and to try and have a bit of a normal sex life  ;) and it does feel its a little bit worse since I've been taking it (2 weeks). My healthy anxiety is through the roof, I'm thinking bladder cancer will be what it is  :'( my GP has organised for an ultrasound but said it could take 6 weeks.

Has anyone else experienced UTI feelings during perimenopause?

Thank you in advance ☺

Joaniepat

Re: UTI symptoms
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 04:35:47 PM »

Vaginal dryness, to which your GP refers, actually affects the whole genitourinary area, and is more correctly known as GSM, Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause. The vagina, labia, clitoral, urethral and lower bladder areas can all be affected. I think your progesterone only pill (Cerazette) might be implicated here, and it may be that you need some local oestrogen treatment. I suggest you join the private Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group for more information and advice. One of their excellent and knowledgable moderators will know, and there will be other members taking a POP.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: UTI symptoms
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »

Nothing is 'only' or 'just' and your GP is incorrect.  As suggested have a lookC at the group as well as reading the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads on the Forum.  Make notes  ;)

4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there = repeated urine infection-type symptoms.  My GP recognised that it was vaginal dryness and prescribed 'ovestin'.  When my bladder feels irritated I swallow 2 Nurofen capsules 3 times a day which relaxes the bladder area.

As oestrogen levels drop off so the body may become dry: inside and out, including the vagina. Skin, deep in the ears, scalp, nostrils, insteps  ::)